Thread: Wondering if box could better

Default Wondering if box could better

I just received a new machine and the box was pretty much garbage. Not sure where or when damage happened, I am try to deal with the seller of the machine to see what the deal was there. My issue is the box gets handled by a lot of folks during shipping, some care, some not so much. Just wondering if there would be a way to have a thin sheet of plywood top and bottom of shipping box to give it better support. The Styrofoam gives nice bounce around protection, but not much strength. Mine machine has a few bents in the lower base cover not a big deal, but once they broke the Styrofoam, the protection is weaken greatly. I had to adjust the corner posts to get the head to raise. I'm think this got handled by a few that care not so much. A couple pieces of plywood could save a lot of issues from the handling end of the shipping process. Just an idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Mugsowner View Post
    I just received a new machine and the box was pretty much garbage. Not sure where or when damage happened, I am try to deal with the seller of the machine to see what the deal was there. My issue is the box gets handled by a lot of folks during shipping, some care, some not so much. Just wondering if there would be a way to have a thin sheet of plywood top and bottom of shipping box to give it better support. The Styrofoam gives nice bounce around protection, but not much strength. Mine machine has a few bents in the lower base cover not a big deal, but once they broke the Styrofoam, the protection is weaken greatly. I had to adjust the corner posts to get the head to raise. I'm think this got handled by a few that care not so much. A couple pieces of plywood could save a lot of issues from the handling end of the shipping process. Just an idea.
    If you have shipping damage you should take pictures of everything you see, box included, that is damaged. Do a thorough inspection of the machine and notify CarveWright.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Stay on it! The box must be used if the unit is sent back for repairs. Thay sell the box but it is way overpriced. hope this helps sorry to hear you got such a banged up unit.
    Pop's Fix It Shop, We won't make it any worse.. Using "A" machines 1.187 1.188 ,2.007, 3.103
    2 Machines no waiting.

I can not blame LHR in any way, as the the machine did not come right from them. I do own a couple other machines and have the boxes from them stored away. I just feel a little extra would help a lot. I have inspected the machine, minor bends in lower cover, no big deal and adjusted posts and all seems well. Once foam cracked on the bottom, it allowed the cardboard to start tearing and it just kept tearing as folks moved it around from what I can see. Machine seems in great shape for condition of box.

Just noticed this thread. Reality is the shipper damaged your machine. Would you have accepted a new frig/or tv with a smashed in corner or dent???
    The seller has a contract with the shipper, it's between them to settle who screwed up. You should not accept a damaged product. You have no way of knowing what else may be twisted/warped. Long term what problems may come up? Some after warranty expires. I'm a believer in treating the world as I would want to be treated but not when I have paid for a new and 100% functional product.
    Good luck,
    Rick H

I know you is responsible for the damage, somewhat. I have checked the machine out, and it is in good shape. One bent plate under the machine that will only be seen by folks working on it, I don't see as a big deal. I am just saying that a little piece of wood would go a long way in preventing the shippers from doing his type of damage in the future, and help insure that these boxes that we have to retain as part of ownership of these machines for shipping reasons would be in good enough shape to keep around for reuse for said shipping. I am not blaming LHR at all in this, just trying to offer a bit of advice to improve the shipping process a touch. We bring in many high dollar items where I work and ship all over the world. The boxes that have a piece of osb place at the bottom for dolly plates to ride on are always in good shape. We do not get to control who handles a package during shipping, but I feel more can be done to hamper thier ability to damage items they are handling, to aid the buyers in a more trouble free out of the box and running experience.