Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mufflers on the CX

Default Mufflers on the CX

I just got a new CX machine, do they still use the muffler as previous machines did?

I bought one as well around the first of the year and was told the new motor does not need a muffler....
    John
    www.jdmwoodworks.com
    Facebook Page: click FB button on web page

Bessemer, MI (shop location)
    Lake Gogebic, MI (where I hang my hat)

"He who wants by the yard, but gives by the inch, should be kicked by the foot"...

As far as I know, the newer cut motors do not have the double impeller any more. The rear impeller which cools the motor pulls air trough the motor and pumps it out trough a channel in the top cover around to the blower on the left side of the machine and it is still there. The front impeller which which used to pump air from inside the machine out through the muffler is gone.

There may still be a little air leaking through the muffler from the cooling impeller and I bet there is still some noise which could be muffled.

I do not have one of these motors so I do not know what the noise difference would be. Try taking off the muffler and see the difference.
    Last edited by bergerud; 09-06-2017 at 11:33 AM.

I discovered this a couple of months ago with a new customers machine. I encouraged them to get one just to muffle the high pitched sound from the cut motor.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

I just got a new machine and it did not come with one. I have done nothing more then power it up so far to see if it powers up. Still have to reg., just showed up yesterday, with the work thing no time to play yet. I will see what it sounds like with and without the muffler. If the older mufflers still fit the new machines, looks like they should.

Most of us threw away or stopped using the muffler years ago. I wouldn't be too concerned about it.

Floyd Harris (aka fwharris RingneckBlues) rigged up a much more effective muffler made from PCV pipe for use with his machine. Wish I had a photo or a link for you. Maybe Floyd will see this post and respond.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

I put the toe end of old sock over mine because the dust blew holes in the cover and was shooting dust all over. I have a CX motor in my C machine and haven noticed a difference in the air output, but haven't looked for a difference.
    Clint
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com

Quote Originally Posted by mtylerfl View Post
    Most of us threw away or stopped using the muffler years ago. I wouldn't be too concerned about it.

Floyd Harris (aka fwharris RingneckBlues) rigged up a much more effective muffler made from PCV pipe for use with his machine. Wish I had a photo or a link for you. Maybe Floyd will see this post and respond.
    Per a special request! It is actually a 2" shop vac hose going into a vacuum filter bag. The hose fits in the dust bag fitting.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_3151 (Medium).jpg  
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Buy CarveWright

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

It's a thing of beauty, Floyd! Thank you for the pic!
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Quote Originally Posted by mtylerfl View Post
    It's a thing of beauty, Floyd! Thank you for the pic!
    Well lets just say it works!
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Buy CarveWright

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast