Thread: Painting

Default Painting

Can someone direct me to an easy paint program or tutorial. After I design a sign I would like to be able to try different paint colors in some type of software before actually painting it. For instance; if I have a simple round sign with *2017* carved into it. Is there a way to just touch the *2* and it will fill in with the color I choose or do I have to actually and carefully try to paint it in with a brush or droplet. Sorry if this is not very clear. I am just trying to improve my color schemes rather than trial and error. I have been using the old way of printing up the pic and manually applying colors that way. I tried Gimp and Paint but no luck. Thank you.
    Mike

In paint you can use the paint bucket to fill areas with a color. The area needs to have a defined boarder, separation of two colors, around it to get it just fill the area without filling other areas.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Add the attached white.jpg file to your woods folder (e.g. WINDOWS7/Program Files (x86)/Carvewright3/woods1. Select it under Board Settings. Download and run paint.net. Use the snipping tool to capture the image in Designer and paste it into paint.net. Select your foreground color. Select the paint can tool. position the cursor over a numeral and click. The whole graphic will probably get flooded; adjust the Tolerance so that only the numeral is colored.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	paint numeral.png 
Views:	37 
Size:	34.5 KB 
ID:	84675
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails white.jpg  

Thank you both, this is exactly what I am try to do. I will practice this weekend and let you know the outcome.

I was able to get the white blank into my Woods1 folder. There were 14 other types of wood back ground blanks showing. When I go into designer board settings I have only 4 blanks to choose from. The white blank does not show. Any ideas as to why the white blank and the others are not choices in board settings? Thank you.

Make sure the size of the file is 512 X 512 pixels at 72 dpi. You will probably have to use a 3rd party editor.

You can use any .jpg graphic. Even photos. Then you can use the line drawing tools to trace. Use the board "Woods" icon on the toolbar to turn it on or off.
    Steve

I use Paint.NET. Free (but I occasionally donate to them) but it does about everything - resize, crop, change colors with manic wand and paint bucket, use it to change the color so Shader Map or Pattern Editor will see the height you want, and convert the Shader Map output to .jpg
    Clint
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com

I will try that as well. Thank you.