Thread: Any projects for wet lumber

Default Any projects for wet lumber

My neighbor just cut down a massive oak tree. I asked him if I could get a slab from it and yesterday afternoon he brought over 4 very nice slabs. They are on average 6 inches thick and 32 inches across. To properly air dry them would probably take 6 to 10 years. I don't really want to wait that long so are there any projects you have completed successfully with wet lumber like this?

Thanks for any ideas.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_4794.jpg  
    Last edited by oscarl48; 08-27-2017 at 04:18 PM.

If you do not end seal them they will most likely split and turn themselves into firewood.

Quote Originally Posted by Mugsowner View Post
    If you do not end seal them they will most likely split and turn themselves into firewood.
    And I will put a +1

mugs, yeah. If I don't do something with them now that is the plan and stacking them with stickers to allow air flow. I have a section of an outdoor leanto that I use for that. I just hate waiting years to be able to use this lumber. I've air dried smaller pieces for turning but I am salivating at this lumber. After a little research I have found table designs knowing that the lumber will have to be resurfaced periodically as it dries and has whatever movement its going to do whether racking, twisting or shrinking.

5. Default

I'll 3rd that. If you don't seal the ends it is probably just a matter of days before they self destruct. Turning bowls with green wood works well if you cut it right (I've only seen it on TV).
    Last edited by TerryT; 08-28-2017 at 08:33 AM.

Easy way to seal would be a 50/50 mix of water and white glue. Coat ends well with mixture and allow to dry. Fresher the better to cut time.

Thanks guys. Plan to seal them in the next few days. I normally use latex paint to seal with decent results. Green wood is good for initial turning. Its just I've never had slabs this large. I am salivating at getting to use the lumber for something. They are 6 to 8 inches thick so not too concerned with splits developing yet. Its pretty humid in the east Texas right now. We will finally start getting rain from Harvey tomorrow.