Thread: Clean Your Rail

1. Default Clean Your Rail

My machine continues to have this error message Y rails need to be cleaned.

Clean rails, run machine 5 minutes and get it again,

Ideas?

Thanks Jerry

Also check the Y bearings, Y belt tension and pulley, Y gear box bearing, belt and if the flex shaft cover rubs on the top cover.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

The machine is sensing to much torque needed to drive the Y axis. First thing to do is what you did, clean rails, making sure they are nice a smooth, no build up anywhere. After that then you have to look deeper, if problem continues. How many hours, may be time to rebuild Y gearbox and change brushes in the carve motor. Most run about 250 hours before needed care in these areas, some more, some less. I had a brush fail at low hours due to a broken spring. Recommended hours are just a guide line, but using them can help keep you running.

Also remove the bearing wipers and clean the bearings. I had a piece of saw dust stuck in there once that caused the message. You can also feel whether they are all turning when you move the head.

Joined in 2013 then likely the Y Gear box.... Lots of posts on that. Sloppy worn Y Gear box lets the big plastic gear RUB in the U shaped machine cut out that the gearbox is mounted in. See rub marks on my gear.

AL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00488_WEB.jpg   DSC00486_WEB.jpg   DSC09643_WEB.jpg   DSC09644_WEB.jpg  

Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

6. Default

I'm at my wits end , bearings move, no dust , clean and I continue to troubleshoot this machine.I spend more time trying to get this machine to work!

Going next week to demo the axiom precision! Had it with this machine , spend more time fixing than running! Dynamite please!

Dynamite is a little extreme and hard to come by. Tannerite is common and easy to find if it is a bang you want, also requires firearm use. Themite is easy to make, no bang, but will get rid of what bothers you. If you could get some flash, it will do as the name states, and it and things around it are gone in a flash. Thinking about it these may be considered a little extreme as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerrylouismartin View Post
    I'm at my wits end , bearings move, no dust , clean and I continue to troubleshoot this machine.I spend more time trying to get this machine to work!

Going next week to demo the axiom precision! Had it with this machine , spend more time fixing than running! Dynamite please!
    Did you examine the Y gear box bearings? The bearings wear out over time due to the heavy work load of the Y Gearbox. This is the most common problem with the machine.

LHR has a upgraded gearbox with a heavier bearing in the gearbox to solve this ongoing problem for the last 10 years.

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

9. Default

I wonder if I could have my machinist friend redo this and make me one out of metal. May be worth the expense?

10. Default

Had it apart yesterday, a couple house wasted as I did not find the problem. I will pull the Y gear box and look at the plastic gears. It has new bearings they are clean and turning.