Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Splitting an image

Default Splitting an image

I am trying to split an 30 inch wide image into six pieces (five inches wide) that I am going to carve onto some 5 and a half inch wide fence pickets. I can get the first one lined up but then when I tried to move the pattern up and set up the second picket I can't get the pattern to move. I thought maybe I had the vertical lock on but that doesn't seem to be the issue. Any help would be appreciated. AT1.mpc

"remove attachment" on the top center .25 measurement (right click on it)

You also have it centered horizontally. As Dian said, remove the attachment by right clicking on the yellow text. Then, right click on the path or on the object on the screen and select "Center, Horizontal".
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 08-12-2017 at 08:31 PM.
    Steve

I can see the horizontal, to keep it aligned across the pickets

Dian is right. If you want to maintain horizontal alignment of all of the segments then leave the center constraint set.
    Steve

Ok, I can de seled the .25 but then when I click on the pattern (in order to move it up 5 inches) it comes back and I still can't move it vertically.

You may have already planned this, so forgive me for presuming!

You would replace the .25 with .25+the actual width of that first board... If they are cedar pickets, I have found them to be from 5.2 to 5.37. Would make a huge difference in the way they line up in the finished project..

And change the board width to the actual size of the new picket.

Right click on the yellow .25 and select "remove attachment". You also could use the attachment feature to position the pattern but you will have to remove the attachment first and then re-attach. If you just change the value by editing it you will stretch or shrink the pattern.
    Steve

Thanks Steve..good to know! (I happen to be designing a gate this weekend, so the timing is right!!)

That makes sense....just add 5.5 to the original .25 for my second slide and then 5.5 to the new total for the 3rd board etc until I get all six panels set up. That should start my subsequent carves .25 from the upper edge and hopefully leave me .25 on the lower edge. both of which I would rip off to get alignment. These pickets are all 5.5 in width. I tried this technique and my computer GUI stopped executing so it may be outside the limits of my machine.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast