Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need help with pattern editor

1. Default Need help with pattern editor

Hi All,

I am enclosing a fish my husband wanted me to carve. I have designer 3 I tried to clean up the outside?, however not sure how make the scales of the fish look right. I would appreciate it if anyone can send me information on how to tweak this. Also how do you know what the right bit is for each job? As you can tell I don't do alot of this but I am trying. Thank you all for sending me help.

Loriblackdogjimtest.mpc

Sorry wrong attachment
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Loriblackdog; 07-24-2017 at 09:34 AM. Reason: wrong attachment

Looks like you imported a photo or drawing. There is no easy way to "clean up" this.

Using a high quality/resolution image is your best choice for trying to make a pattern. Your image appears to have a lot of high/low points. These can be blended out by using the blur tool.

In Pattern Editor select "view - highlight edit area" this will help to make the area outside of the pattern more visible so you can see the noise pixels that need to be removed. Both of your mpc files have a lot of the pixels that need to be removed.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

4. Default

I do search for High resolution pictures, is there a special place to get these from? I thought that is why I have carvewright so I can clean up picturess to use? I will try your suggestion of blowing up so I can see noice. Is there anywhere I can see how to remove pixels? Thank you for your help.

Lori

Quote Originally Posted by Loriblackdog View Post
    I thought that is why I have carvewright so I can clean up picturess to use? Lori
    Carvewright software interprets pictures as height maps. Pictures and height maps are very different things. Compare the height map of a fire hydrant on the left to a picture of fire hydrant on the right. The imported picture produces a terrible carving.

You'd be better off using quality patterns that have been design for carving rather than importing pictures. To make a good carving, pictures generally must be extensively manipulated.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	height map.PNG 
Views:	26 
Size:	603.2 KB 
ID:	84512
    Last edited by DickB; 07-25-2017 at 06:47 AM.

6. Default

Thank you Dick for the explanation, this is what I need. Black and white on what I can and can't use. Let me ask is there other places to get patterns other than carvewright? I am trying not to spend anymore until I can prove to my self that I can carve. I really appreciate your help. Have a Blessed Day.

Lori

The best source for free patterns is this forum - look under the Patterns section. If you can't find what you are looking for, ask, and others may help you find it. There are several who enjoy making patterns and will often make one for you no charge if one doesn't exist.

This is a good example of why there should be a good tutorial on how to make patterns from pictures or models. This was discussed at the conference, can anyone share the info?

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby View Post
    This is a good example of why there should be a good tutorial on how to make patterns from pictures or models. This was discussed at the conference, can anyone share the info?
    This kind of thing has been discussed many times, most recently here: https://forum.carvewright.com/showth...ality-patterns

If by "models" you mean 3D models, making a pattern from a picture and making one from a model use completely different processes. There are many ways to make patterns depending upon the source and the desired result, so there is no one tutorial. There are many tutorials that have been made and discussed in the forums. Perhaps we should try to consolidate a list of tutorials somewhere.

10. Default

OH PLEASE try to put this information so that the"not so up to date people that have never done this before, can get some much needed help. I do not know that much about 3d modeling so, maybe somethings on how to get a pattern from a picture. I really want to thank you all for the help, I am really trying to learn this. You guys and girls are great inspiration to me.

Thanks
    Loriblackdog

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast