Thread: Filigree Desk or Mantle Clock

Default Filigree Desk or Mantle Clock

I got a request from one of the Conference members for this project, which has just been made available in the Pattern Depot. You may have seen it in the Synchronicity wall clock thread, as the movement is the same in both clocks. However, while Synchronicity looks like it could have been made with a scroll saw, Filigree is much more ornate than a scroll saw clock. Since filigrees are prominently used in the frame, face, and pendulum, I thought Filigree would be an appropriate name.

The clock, like Synchronicity, is driven by an electromagnetic pendulum. A magnet is hidden in the pendulum, and a coil concealed in the frame. With each swing of the pendulum, the coil becomes an electromagnet and gives a little push. A microcontroller measures each swing, and slightly speeds up or slows down the pendulum as needed to keep perfect time. This is a unique feature of my designs. (But what good is a clock that doesn't keep accurate time?) The electronics are powered by an AC adapter with optional battery backup.

This is an Advanced Level project because of the number of wood parts and several two-sided carvings, but the clock itself is not that difficult to build and get running, unlike other wood gear clock designs. It is a Designer Basic (Designer 1) project. I did use Centerline Text and Conforming Vectors for the numerals, but the numerals can easily be changed to Raster, meaning no software add-ons are required for this project. You do however need a drill press, as even the CarveWright cannot drill holes that are precise enough to fit the brass tubing used as bushings and shafts. (Try drilling a hole with your 1/8" cutting bit and compare to a hole drilled with a 1/8" drill bit in a drill press - you may be surprised. I was.).

I've included a very detailed build manual, which you probably know can be downloaded from the Pattern Depot for free, so you can see if this project is for you. Search for "filigree clock". I will have a complete hardware kit of all non-wood parts, including electronics, brass tubing, bearings, and screws, available through my web site very shortly.

This is my new favorite clock. Truly unique. How better to show off your skills and your CarveWright's capabilities?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	S2 desk.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	117.7 KB 
ID:	84627 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170801_094443.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	815.7 KB 
ID:	84628 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	coil in frame.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	1.69 MB 
ID:	84629 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170725_183808.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	1.66 MB 
ID:	84630 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170726_121247.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	84631

https://youtu.be/b7QVKATuEiE

Pleased to see the filigree addition. Looks very attractive, nice CarveWright touch!! Great work!!!

Beautiful piece and wonderful design. Easy to see why its your favorite.

Masterpiece, just beautiful!!

All I can say is WOW! Just thinking about the design of the project overwhelms me, fantastic project and definitely uses the carvers abilities.
    Rick H

SUPER COOL project, Dick! You're the "Clock Master"!
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Very Cool, Dick. definitely on my list of projects to do when I get around to it. Anyone want to create a project file for one of those round TUIT's? We could all probably use one of those.

dave