Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nelcyn's bit sharpening report

I would use caution. There are different grades of carbide. I was told by the owner of Precise Bits many years ago that the price of just the 0.25" shank blanks of the "good" carbide cost a lot more than $8.00! EDIT: Re-reading your post, you did NOT say the new bits are $8...rather, you were referring to the sharpening price. My apologies!

Low grade carbide could shatter/break more easily and won't hold up nearly as well (I'm told). I admit I don't know personally because I've never purchased a super-cheap bit.

If you buy some, please report back with your experience with them.
    Last edited by mtylerfl; 09-07-2017 at 04:55 PM.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

I agree, "if something seems to good to be true", we all know the answer to that. I don't have any info about pricing for bits. Hopefully for those with non-Carvetite chucks it may help. To have to buy a bit and then press off the adaptor may scare off many who aren't comfortable in that arena. Either that or convert to the Carvetite, cost of chuck, work, plus old bits won't work without some type of adaptor.
    Rick H

When I first switched to the CT, I had my son take the CT bits asw they died and press them out and press in my leftover QC bits until I ran out. If non-CT bits are good enough and inexpensive enough, it might be worth the $100 or so to get a small hydraulic press from Harbor Freight.
    Clint
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com

Not sure what the cost would be, but If you send bits and adapter to me. I will press the two together at no charge. If I am out no money just a few minutes of time, it is no big deal to me.

You guys must have missed the memo! https://forum.carvewright.com/showth...273#post217273

6. Default

Where is the website to have the bits sharpened please?

See post #4

Thanks for sharing this with us. I talked to Nelson today. I'm sending him 20 bits Monday. He knows what he is doing. Can't wait to get the tools back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12