Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Secret Project III - Puzzle/Two Lock Box

There is no easy conversion back to 1.187 that I know of (other than making everything into a pattern). This is not my project, I hijacked it. I need to finish this project for a local craft fair so I can win beat in show again. Last year it was the wooden album and before that the Tambour Box.
    Clint
    Last edited by cestout; 08-16-2017 at 08:18 PM.
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com

Correction!!!! I had the holes drilled in the wrong place in the lock plates(upside-down). Here is the correction. Dry fit works ok - glue is drying on lock plate to top connection. I used chip carving patterns instead of "?".
    Clint
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Prototype completed

I just hot glued it together. There are tape markers on the pins that need to be pushed for demonstration purposes. And one more file correction.
    Clint
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails locked.jpg   Open.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Very cool carving and execution of the "two lock box" !!!!! I'm back from our trip so I can embark on another attempt with the hard maple that has been acclimating in my garage. This one is to be a star wars theme for my grandson....wish me luck.

Hope you don't mind me hijacking your project.
    Clint

The more who participate the better...

Default Carving Second Box

Slow progress....got the maple planed and squared, carved star wars characters...until last piece (back) and half way thru the carve my X bearings siezed up. So design change...R2D2 became an "inside the box" carve and the back is plain. Using planed hard wood and some precision cutting has really helped in the fitment area. I've used the sharp pencil layout and attention to cutting only on the scrap side of the pencil line technique so the parts actually fit !!! Ha.

One other design change...to eliminate the need for the drilled secret key holes I added "numbers" to the key ends via drilled dimples to identify the keys to the box owner. This way the box owner can set the keys in any order and be able to determine the "combination" with a try or two. In fabricating the keys you can pick any numbers to identify the keys and set the keys in the box in any order...I used 1 and 5 for the middle keys, 2,3,4 for the left keys and 6,7,8 for the right keys. Of course only the "box owner" should know this and a "box breaker" would not.

Still have painting and finishing to go. Will post those pictures when done.

Oh and have developed some star wars character patterns from on-line 3D models and .stl conversion to carvewright if anyone would like them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20171013_105430.jpg   20171013_105535.jpg   20171014_115204.jpg   20171014_132450.jpg  

Default Done

Star Wars Puzzel Box Done!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20171019_162940.jpg   20171019_162956_067.jpg   20171019_162946.jpg  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12