Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Secret Project III - Puzzle/Two Lock Box

Default Secret Project III - Puzzle/Two Lock Box

So it's (late) July...time to start christmas secret projects...right? Supposed to be a secret to minimize deadline requirements... which wasn't successful in SP I and SP II. One of this year's "secret projects" is a puzzle box. This type of box is posted on the internet by several makers generally referred to as a "two lock" box. It has two stacks of "keys" that have to be set in their unlock position to sucessfully open the box. These keys match two columns of internal dowels to lock the box. In my version there are eight keys with three possible positions each, IN, OUT and MIDDLE. That results in 3 to the 8th power or 6,561 possible combinations. To unlock the box you either have to know the combination (it is set by inserting each key in whatever order you pick with it open), be really good at guessing, have the hands and feel of a lock picker to pull up on the lid and feel the keys in the slots (too hard for me) OR have a fail safe...look at the bottom view...I added small holes in the bottom and the keys to align the keys in open position with a small rod ...shhhh, that's a secret too! I carved each surface with question marks for the puzzle theme but you could carve what ever strikes your fancy.

This project is more about how precise you can cut and fabricate wood than anything else. Unfortunately I tend to use scrap materials when trying out a project. This attaempt used poplar, pine and oak pieces laying around the shop. I did lots of cutting, sanding and fitting as a result. My recommendation (and what I'll do on the next one) is to use all one speices of wood and plane everything to an exact thickness. My intension for the next one is to use a dry, hard wood like 4/4 poplar and plane it to exactly 3/4" thickness so the parts can be very precise as far as dimension and fit.

OK so 6,561 possible combinations may be too many to reasonably solve so you could make the top and bottom keys in each stack middle only and fixed with the other four keys with two positions, IN and OUT. That give 2 to the 4th power or 16 possible combinations.

The box is unfinished but works fairly well. I'll apply finishes to the box and the parts and post final pictures along with my drawing and mpc's if anyone is interested in trying this out.

Merry Christmas!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20170730_092547.jpg   20170730_092611.jpg   20170730_092922.jpg   20170730_093819.jpg  

20170730_094011.jpg  

Good project and maybe just what I need. Been making presents f the grand kids since '07 and running out of ideas. Also running out of grand kids as the age out at 18. But I have 3 boys just the right age for this. So can you share or sell this design or tell me where to get something to work from. I am experienced in taking magazine or TV projects and adapting the to the CarveWright.
    Thanks
    Clint
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com

I an also interested. Fascinating project!

Default Drawings and Final Photos

Although made from scrap of different species, the two lock puzzle box works as designed...with some (a lot of) sanding and fitting...so definately start with dry, planed wood of the same species....best to be planed (and cut) to the 3/4" dimension module in the design with slots cut just over 3/4" for fitting and sliding tolerance.

Dimensioned drawings and finish pictures attached. I intend to make at least two more of these boxes with names carved to personalize them, better fit and finish and recessed areas painted for the carving to stand out....christmas is just around the corner you know...

Oh the drawing doesn't show the "fail safe" holes in the box bottom and in the keys...very important to add those to align the keys so you can open the box when you don't know/can't guess the one of 6,500 combinations that will open it. Also note that you set the combination by inserting the keys in any order you choose. I made two "middle" keys, three "left" keys and three "right" keys, but you can make any number to suit. As I said before one might want to simplify the box by making only four keys of left and right configuration with the top and bottom keys in each column simply with a center notch and glued in place to make a 4 key box with only 16 possible combinations.

Good luck. Please post your boxes!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20170731_102750.jpg   20170731_174034.jpg   20170731_174137.jpg   Two Lock Box Standard S1.jpg  

Two Lock Box Standard S2.jpg   Two Lock Box Standard S3.jpg  

Default Mpc Files

Oh yeah. Here's the mpc files. They are in designer 3...if someone can tell me how to save them in 1.187 from 3.10? I'll repost them. They are really just simple carve areas with text characters to add carving to the top sides and ends.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks profusely!!
    Clint

Default Lock bos (secret box) modifications

Lock Box
    I made some engineering but not really design changes to theLock Box. I installed cut lines. If you set snap to 1/8” and turn off perspectiveand look closely you will see that the cut is outside the lines, so the measurementsare correct. For the sides and ends youmay change the depth on the cut outs (but leave the end cuts) to .75 to have yourmachine do the hard work. I added an mpcfor the lock plates and added a ¼” mortice and tenon where they attach. You will need to remove the little ¼ x ¼ x ¼ piecefrom the end of each tenon. They had tobe there for the rollers. I suggestmoving the ¾”x ¾” x 4.5” glue blocks to the outside above the locking bars. I added a ¼” plate to shield the locking mechanismfrom the box contents, and the slots in the ends and sides for a ¼”bottom. I used 3/8” dowel because it ishalf of ¾” and seemed simpler (and I have it in my shop usually). I also added an mpc for the locking bars. You will need a sled with ½” rails and an openingof 12” x 3.75”. Place 10 ¾” x ¾” x 6”pieces in the sled and install a 1/8” cutting bit. Hide the drill holes and carve. Roll all the pieces 90o , un-hide the holes and hide everything else then carve. Haven carved it yet – will do 3 sometimebefore Christmas.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thank you for sharing your revisions!!!

Can someone post the 1.8x version of these? Please?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    CarveSpot - http://www.CarveSpot.com

Cestout...very cool...really like the lock parts mpc....like everything, it's a project in development. Can't wait to see your versions so please post pictures!

I obtained some 13/16" brown maple the other day so I can plane it to exactly 3/4". I'm working on better cutting precision technique too so the parts fit very closely. I hope to make at least two more boxes, one a star wars theme for my grand son and one or two "girley" theme for a future gift to my (now) 1-1/2 year old grand daughter and/or my (now) 2nd grand daughter due in February.

If someone can tell me how it's done I would post the files in 1.8x but right now I don't know how....I still have 1.8x under "old" designer(?)

I'm also working on a simple wood gift box as well...wood latch mechanism and carved top...will post that soon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast