Thread: Cover Sensor "Open"

Default Cover Sensor "Open"

Guys I need some ideas,

During last carving operation machine worked for several minutes then it stopped asking for cover to be closed (it was not opened).

When cover was re-set (opened and closed) it detected the closed position and worked for a few more minutes before stopping asking for cover to be closed (and it was closed all the time).

This repeated a few times until I decided to stop the carving and troubleshoot the cover switch sensor or possible wire disconnection between the board and the switch.

I took away the cover sensor switch and checked it with the voltmeter - sensor was fine. It closed the connection when pressed and opened when unpressed.

I put the machine into sensor detection mode (option 7) and tried the switch as well as manually shortened the sensor wires - it did not detect the "closed" position.

I disconnected the wires from the board and re-plugged to make sure there's no dust or anything else there.

Still the machine does not detect a shortened "closed" cover.

I am sure this is not a physical issue with connection nor with the sensor switch and there must be a problem somewhere else and I need some ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by sstouk View Post
    Guys I need some ideas,

During last carving operation machine worked for several minutes then it stopped asking for cover to be closed (it was not opened).

When cover was re-set (opened and closed) it detected the closed position and worked for a few more minutes before stopping asking for cover to be closed (and it was closed all the time).

This repeated a few times until I decided to stop the carving and troubleshoot the cover switch sensor or possible wire disconnection between the board and the switch.

I took away the cover sensor switch and checked it with the voltmeter - sensor was fine. It closed the connection when pressed and opened when unpressed.

I put the machine into sensor detection mode (option 7) and tried the switch as well as manually shortened the sensor wires - it did not detect the "closed" position.

I disconnected the wires from the board and re-plugged to make sure there's no dust or anything else there.

Still the machine does not detect a shortened "closed" cover.

I am sure this is not a physical issue with connection nor with the sensor switch and there must be a problem somewhere else and I need some ideas.

Your cover switch is fine ,the little tab that push on the switch is not going far enough on the switch , some time just put a little piece of masking tape on the end might help it to bad we can't this on skype or by phone I would run you thru it or send me a private message
    Henry

Every one has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.

Have you lately installed a new board sensor? The wire inside the truck can short out and cause the close cover error. Also, check the FFC connections.

Thank you for replies.

No it is not a tab on the switch because even if I shorten the wires bypassing the switch itself - it is not showing as the "closed" and besides there is a clear and distinctive "click" when cover was closed but not detecting as closed.

I have not changed the board sensor but thanks for the idea to check additional wires. I will try to fully open the machine and disconnect/clean/reconnect every wire connection that leads to the board sensor and cover switch sensor tonight.

My fear is that it's electronics and not connections because machine was working fine and cover error appeared mid-carving ... there was nothing touched nor changed in the machine.

Try moving the carriage back and forth as you look at the sensor display. I think you have a intermittent short in the 5 volt system. The connection of FFC ribbon wire to the carriage has been known to cause your problem. Check that the ribbon is squarely inserted.

This looks like a classic "Pinched Board Sensor Wire".... Do a complete sensor check in options. Does everything work?

Pinched board sensor wire takes out the 5 volts hence other sensors stop working too.

UN plug the top board sensor plug and see if the close cover problem goes away.

Another WAG... Wild AL Guess...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC08500_WEB.jpg   DSC08503_WEB.jpg   DSC08496_WEB.jpg   DSC08507_WEB.jpg  

DSC08502_WEB.jpg   DSC08510_WEB.jpg   DSC08509_WEB.jpg   DSC08492_WEB.jpg  

Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Thank you all!
    Great community here and I appreciate everyone who contributed trying to help.
    I have opened the machine, disconnected every cable, vacuumed the boards and all cables, plugged everything together fitting it well and now the sensor reads properly when cover is closed and machine appears back to normal operations.
    I conclude this was either a spec of dust or a burned/rusty connector which cleared out after re-plugging the cables.
    Feeling jolt of excitement after some depressing downtime.
    Thanks again.