Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't figure this out

Default Can't figure this out

I'm having a roll-up problem where the Carver carved to the letters and then rolls the wood up at the edge of the letters Plus carving seems to be less detailed on optimal than usual. Seems to me I'm getting a irregular death issue as the bit goes across the wood and I have been using a sled but it does the same with just a regular piece of wood. It has changed my sanding from about 10 minutes to over an hour and I can't figure it out. I posted a couple of pictures so you can see what I mean.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170728_130742368.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	4.40 MB 
ID:	84549Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170729_090603673.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	3.72 MB 
ID:	84550
    Maybe a z truck encoder problem?
    Love to Make the sawdust, But I sure Hate to clean it up.
    U can't find Success unless you have the patience to hang around long enough to find it!!!!
    Website isn't carving related but a good place to buy a auto:
    www.hcautos.com

2. Default

I have had that happen on certain kinds of wood. First two things I would check...the bearings, both directions, on the shuttle (just grab it and make sure it doesnt wiggle around) and make sure your bit is good & sharp.

I've had that problem when the bit is dull.

Everything is tight, checked that an the bit is fairly new with about 60 hours on it. The wood is red oak which I have carved many times with no problems. Have taken the z truck off an put new rails on but that didn't help either. Seemed to happen all at once also which made me rule out the bit.
    U can't find Success unless you have the patience to hang around long enough to find it!!!!
    www.hcautos.com

Can the 1/16 ball nose bit be sharpened?
    www.hcautos.com

Is this the first time and the one and only one it did it on? I would not rule out the bit if you have about 60 hours on it and have been carving oak. Also look at the Y gear box bearings, z encoder, loose Z truck.

Bit sharpening... http://nelcyn.com/ He has posted about sharpening bits.. A few have reported good results.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

No not the first, the pictures are from 2 different carves. Started 3 carves ago. Everything is tight bearing wise and don't know what to do to the encoder except check for dust, none there. Got me baffled.
    www.hcautos.com

Have you tried a new bit? If not do a small test carve with one just to see/compare.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Nope don't have one at the moment, guess I need a new one any how. Good excuse to get another. Will send the other 2 to your guy above to see how good he is. Thanks for the info.
    www.hcautos.com

I have seen this on red oak which was carved with a dull bit. I'm not sure, but the wide, open grain red oak offers seems to show dull bit very quickly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast