Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Board sensor issues!!

I did try this before and it comes up with the same error. The problem is it's very random. I was able to make 1 carve the other day though. I tried using the jig last night with a different size carve board and the error is back. I'll tinker with it tonight and let you know what happens.

Jay, if you think this might be easier as a phone call send me a PM with your number. I am in NV this week, so there is a 3 hr difference. Let me know what times would work for you.

My last Z stall was the head hitting the board when it went to find the sliding plate. Sometimes the solution is pretty simple, just a matter of a particular experience.

Standard question, but what is your head pressure? Check your head pressure before and report. It should be in 80 to 90 range. Adjust is too low or too high.
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    The easiest method, I think, is to size the board in Designer just big enough for the pattern. Then, with a real board, same thickness, slightly wider, and 7" longer, choose "Center on Board". (Yes or No to stay under rollers does not matter if the board is 7" longer than the Designer board.)
    Did exactly what you stated above. Now I'm getting a Y axis error(stall).

Quote Originally Posted by trainerjay View Post
    Did exactly what you stated above. Now I'm getting a Y axis error(stall).
    Was this a Y stall during the measuring phase or a Y stall during carving?

For example, the Y belt slipping during the bit plate "Thwack" on the right will later cause the carriage to stall into the left side of the machine. If that was the case, the Y belt may simply need to have its tension adjusted.
    Last edited by bergerud; 07-26-2017 at 08:35 PM.

Yes, it gave me the error right after thwacking the bit plate. I loosened the Y belt tension screw and re-tightened it. That seemed to fix the issue. I performed a simple carving of shapes to test it out. I do not know if this is normal but the screen flashed a message that said "check motor". I pressed ok and it began to carve.

I created a honeycomb design to test out. While it did carve that it looks a bit sloppy. I checked the shapes in the software and they appear to look good. Any idea why they didn't carve to precise? Below is the actual cutout and a the second picture is a snapshot from the software screen. There were not any tabs placed on the image so Im not sure why there appears to be one on the cutout. Also not sure what happened with the honeycomb on the bottom row, far left. Any suggestions?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1538.JPG 
Views:	31 
Size:	105.8 KB 
ID:	84534 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	42.8 KB 
ID:	84535

No idea what happened to that bottom hexagon.

The check cut motor warning has to do with, what many say, is an over sensitive spin up test. It may be as simple as too small of an extension cord on the machine.

The tabs are added automatically in cut outs even though they do not show up in Designer. You can play with their properties in the cut out control dialog. (For example, the min number of tabs should be three!)

(As a matter of terminology, what you did is called cutting. Carving is when you use the tapered carving bit to carve a raster pattern.)

Quote Originally Posted by trainerjay View Post
    I did try this before and it comes up with the same error. The problem is it's very random. I was able to make 1 carve the other day though. I tried using the jig last night with a different size carve board and the error is back. I'll tinker with it tonight and let you know what happens.
    So I am looking through your posts and I start to wonder if the Health of your machine is the issue here....

And specifically the health of the "Y" Gear Box and the two 685ZZ Bearings. I know it usually takes about 250 cut hours to wear out the bearings in the "Y" but it can happen faster depending on the carving and cutting load. More "Y" Stress, More wear....

I would find a source for the 685ZZ Bearings and order some. You use them 2 at a time. With the Tightening and Loosening of the "Y" Belt Posts it had me wondering....

When the bearings fail they let the belt Pull the "Y" Gear into the U shaped metal frame creating resistance and causing a stall. It also makes rub marks on the plastic gear, see picture... IT also wears thin the shaft as seen in the picture. In the past LHR sold the gear now they sell you a new gearbox.

I believe this is the root of your problem....

Just a WAG from AL.... Wild AL Guess...

Just one source of the bearings. http://www.vxb.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=685zz

The reason the Y Gearbox in the picture 4 has a screw hole on top is that it is a former "Z" Gearbox... We had a bad run of "Z" Motors and encoders in 2007 and I pulled the gearbox off the bad "Z" Motors. This was before WE understood the wearing of the 685ZZ Bearings.... NOW we recommend PREVENTIVE Maintenance and replace the two 685ZZ Bearings AND the 2 Cut Motor Brushes at EVERY 250 Cut Hours.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC09644_WEB.jpg   DSC07751_WEB.jpg   DSC07752_WEB.jpg   DSC07746_WEB_WEB.jpg  

DSC00488_WEB.jpg  
    Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 07-27-2017 at 04:18 PM.
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Quote Originally Posted by Digitalwoodshop View Post
    So I am looking through your posts and I start to wonder if the Health of your machine is the issue here....

And specifically the health of the "Y" Gear Box and the two 685ZZ Bearings. I know it usually takes about 250 cut hours to wear out the bearings in the "Y" but it can happen faster depending on the carving and cutting load. More "Y" Stress, More wear....

I would find a source for the 685ZZ Bearings and order some. You use them 2 at a time. With the Tightening and Loosening of the "Y" Belt Posts it had me wondering....

When the bearings fail they let the belt Pull the "Y" Gear into the U shaped metal frame creating resistance and causing a stall. It also makes rub marks on the plastic gear, see picture... IT also wears thin the shaft as seen in the picture. In the past LHR sold the gear now they sell you a new gearbox.

Just one source of the bearings. http://www.vxb.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=685zz

The reason the Y Gearbox in the picture 4 has a screw hole on top is that it is a former "Z" Gearbox... We had a bad run of "Z" Motors and encoders in 2007 and I pulled the gearbox off the bad "Z" Motors. This was before WE understood the wearing of the 685ZZ Bearings.... NOW we recommend PREVENTIVE Maintenance and replace the two 685ZZ Bearings AND the 2 Cut Motor Brushes at EVERY 250 Cut Hours.
    Brand new machine.
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

Quote Originally Posted by Digitalwoodshop View Post

I appreciate your input Al but this is a brand new machine with maybe 30min of cut time on it. If the bearings are worn out in that time than LHR needs to replace them, not me. That would be absolutely ridiculous if thats the case.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast