Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Board sensor issues!!

The first number is the measured width. The second is your designed width. The option is asking "do you want to carve your design as original designed?" Say yes....
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Just when I thought I was able to start carving....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	33 
Size:	1.89 MB 
ID:	84527

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    The width measured by the machine will be the width of the carrier. The machine cannot differentiate between the board and the carrier. This means you either have to choose center on board or you have to compensate for the extra width in Designer.
    I spent some time trying to explain how the machine measures boards and places carvings in the other carrier thread. If what I said did not make sense to you, you should have asked more questions. You did not even reply.

It appears to me that you are trying to model your carrier after the Universal Carrier Base. It is a fairly complicated design with a complicated method of tricking the machine into measuring the board and not the carrier.

When did the stall happen?

I spent some time trying to explain how the machine measures boards and places carvings in the other carrier thread. If what I said did not make sense to you, you should have asked more questions. You did not even reply.

It appears to me that you are trying to model your carrier after the Universal Carrier Base. It is a fairly complicated design with a complicated method of tricking the machine into measuring the board and not the carrier.

When did the stall happen?
    I wasn't ignoring you in the other thread. As I stated below I tried using masking tape because it's easier instead of having multiple size end boards. I made my board based on similar designs and what I thought would work. I did not know there was a universal carrier board until after I created mine.

The stall happened when the bit went to the far left side of the machine in an attempt to locate the touch plate.

Don't take it personally if I dont reply every time. Most times I give up and go to bed. This router is not as user friendly as it seems. So far I've tried carving 3 times (only once semi-successfully) and each time I attempt to carve a minor 20min carving I have to spend 2-3hrs fussing with the machine and all it's error codes. Prime example is tonight. I started at 8pm and here it is 12:00AM and nothing happened except me getting frustrated once again. Even after fixing the tracking error a totally different error comes up. I agree some of the reasons are me and being an amateur at this but many of these error codes have nothing to do with me such as the "stall error", "open hood error", slipped Y belt", etc..

I waited 2 years to order this because I wanted all the bugs worked out of the Carvewright and the software. Upon ordering I was informed the machines are on back order. No big deal as I'm not using this for business purposes. When I finally did get it and opened the box the clear plastic door was cracked, there was no lubricating oil, and the bits were all out of place in their case leaving me with no idea which bit is what. I called about the broken door and missing oil and they are shipping those out but the door is back ordered as well. Now I have a new unit with a taped down door just so the sensors connect and multiple error codes every time I try to use it. A simple 20min carve turns into 3 hours of nothing happening. So I apologize for not replying and going to bed after hours of frustration. So far this hasn't been the experience I was hoping for or a good investment of $3,000. But before you get irritated about someone not replying, put yourself in their situation first.

I do appreciate your help and everyone else who has contributed up to this point. I'm giving this a few more attempts before boxing it up and sending it back. Clearing numerous error codes each time I want to use the machine is not my idea of fun or a wise investment. So far only 1 of the 4 constant error codes can I point the finger at me.

I am sorry that you have had so much trouble. It takes awhile to get this machine figured out enough to make sleds and carriers. There are many different ways to use the machine. Your carrier is not the easiest way to go. There are many variables to deal with. You may be less frustrated if you just carve a few projects on simple boards first.

The easiest method, I think, is to size the board in Designer just big enough for the pattern. Then, with a real board, same thickness, slightly wider, and 7" longer, choose "Center on Board". (Yes or No to stay under rollers does not matter if the board is 7" longer than the Designer board.)

After a few carves like this, you might start liking the machine!

It sounds like your machine got miss handled during shipping if the cover was broken when you opened the box. Did you notice any other shipping related issues as cracked/broken parts of the frame? If it was bounced around it could cause things to get out of alignment and connections coming loose. I would go through the machine and make sure all electrical connections are good. Specifically the bottom side of the machine and the back side of the Y truck area.

There is a learning curve to start with and knowing what the machine is looking for when it is doing the start up measuring process. When using a jig/carrier board/sled you need to fool the machine is sorts to think it is seeing a normal straight flat board. Example the end blocks or tape and the end of the jig.

Hang in there, we will get you going in the right direction.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

The easiest method, I think, is to size the board in Designer just big enough for the pattern. Then, with a real board, same thickness, slightly wider, and 7" longer, choose "Center on Board". (Yes or No to stay under rollers does not matter if the board is 7" longer than the Designer board.)

I've tried this and was met with multiple error codes as well.

I didn't see anything else that was obvious as far as being broke. I will take a closer look at the entire machine when I get home this evening. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by trainerjay View Post
    I've tried this and was met with multiple error codes as well.
    Maybe you could try the carve on center of a simple board again and we can deal with each issue as it occurs.

Quote Originally Posted by trainerjay View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen a jig like this before. Try a regular board with no jig and let's see if we can narrow down the issue. Add 7" to the actual board length, say Center on Board and NO to stay under rollers.
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast