Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Board sensor issues!!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Board sensor issues!!

Loaded a 4" wide by 11" long board on a 36" sled. Each time the machine measures the board it comes off the end of the roller and gives me an error. How do I get around this issue with a sled??
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg  

Do a board sensor reading check to see what the values are. Load up a board and place a white sheet of paper on the board under the sensor. On the key pad press 0 and arrow down to the sensor check and arrow down to the board sensor. Value should be around 150.

How is the board loaded in the sled?
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Sensor reading is 151.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	48 
Size:	2.35 MB 
ID:	84525

The senor is not seeing any board as soon as the rails let the roller drop down. The sensor is not turned on until the compression roller drops down and then it is looking for the end of the board with in 3 1/2" of the dropped roller. Since you do not have a board at that point you get the sensor error.

You will need to add small blocks at each end of your jig for the sensor to pick up.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Quote Originally Posted by trainerjay View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	48 
Size:	2.35 MB 
ID:	84525
    I don't think I've ever seen a jig like this before. Try a regular board with no jig and let's see if we can narrow down the issue. Add 7" to the actual board length, say Center on Board and NO to stay under rollers.
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

I did try this before and it comes up with the same error. The problem is it's very random. I was able to make 1 carve the other day though. I tried using the jig last night with a different size carve board and the error is back. I'll tinker with it tonight and let you know what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by trainerjay View Post
    I did try this before and it comes up with the same error. The problem is it's very random. I was able to make 1 carve the other day though. I tried using the jig last night with a different size carve board and the error is back. I'll tinker with it tonight and let you know what happens.
    So I am looking through your posts and I start to wonder if the Health of your machine is the issue here....

And specifically the health of the "Y" Gear Box and the two 685ZZ Bearings. I know it usually takes about 250 cut hours to wear out the bearings in the "Y" but it can happen faster depending on the carving and cutting load. More "Y" Stress, More wear....

I would find a source for the 685ZZ Bearings and order some. You use them 2 at a time. With the Tightening and Loosening of the "Y" Belt Posts it had me wondering....

When the bearings fail they let the belt Pull the "Y" Gear into the U shaped metal frame creating resistance and causing a stall. It also makes rub marks on the plastic gear, see picture... IT also wears thin the shaft as seen in the picture. In the past LHR sold the gear now they sell you a new gearbox.

I believe this is the root of your problem....

Just a WAG from AL.... Wild AL Guess...

Just one source of the bearings. http://www.vxb.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=685zz

The reason the Y Gearbox in the picture 4 has a screw hole on top is that it is a former "Z" Gearbox... We had a bad run of "Z" Motors and encoders in 2007 and I pulled the gearbox off the bad "Z" Motors. This was before WE understood the wearing of the 685ZZ Bearings.... NOW we recommend PREVENTIVE Maintenance and replace the two 685ZZ Bearings AND the 2 Cut Motor Brushes at EVERY 250 Cut Hours.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC09644_WEB.jpg   DSC07751_WEB.jpg   DSC07752_WEB.jpg   DSC07746_WEB_WEB.jpg  

DSC00488_WEB.jpg  
    Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 07-27-2017 at 04:18 PM.
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Jay, if you think this might be easier as a phone call send me a PM with your number. I am in NV this week, so there is a 3 hr difference. Let me know what times would work for you.

My last Z stall was the head hitting the board when it went to find the sliding plate. Sometimes the solution is pretty simple, just a matter of a particular experience.

Picture please. Is this that carrier again?

Recall what I said in the other thread.

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    (If the board is shorter than the carrier, the sensor will miss the end of the board and then find nothing after the roller drops off of the end of the carrier.)
    There is no board to measure when the roller rolls off of the end of the carrier. Did you try what I suggested in the other thread?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast