Thread: Larger Bit?

Default Larger Bit?

I primarily use my machine for cutouts. It works great but I would like to be able to do it a little faster. The bit I use is the 3/16" cutting bit. I have to do multiple passes in the same area to fully cut a piece out. When I'm working in the program, the largest bit size it will let me pick is 3/16." If I use a larger bit in the machine, will it throw off the size of the piece even if I flip the cutout to the outside? Is there another way I can go about doing this? If it does throw it off, what do I need to do to make it work?

You can use a larger bit in the machine and compensate using the inset. It will not be WYSIWYG. I see, however, no point in doing that. You would need even more passes so as not to overload the machine. Cutting out more wood means more work for the machine and so, more time.

I think you should stick with the 3/16" cutting bit. How thick are the cut outs and how many passes are you making? Maybe you could just do deeper passes. I think that is more efficient than a bigger bit.

I cut oak with the 3/16" bit in one pass no problem. Give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by DickB View Post
    I cut oak with the 3/16" bit in one pass no problem. Give it a try.
    I'm cutting 7/8" thick stock. When I try to do it in one pass the flex shaft shakes so badly, even with a new bit. Is it just normal for the flex shaft to shake like that when cutting in one pass? I guess I am just extremely nervous because I have a very good reputation for breaking things. I just don't want to push the machine to hard and destroy something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    You can use a larger bit in the machine and compensate using the inset. It will not be WYSIWYG. I see, however, no point in doing that. You would need even more passes so as not to overload the machine. Cutting out more wood means more work for the machine and so, more time.

I think you should stick with the 3/16" cutting bit. How thick are the cut outs and how many passes are you making? Maybe you could just do deeper passes. I think that is more efficient than a bigger bit.
    Thank you for the information. The thickness of material is 98% of the time 7/8 thick. I do three - four passes normally because of the shaking I get from the flex shaft. I am just extremely concerned that I will break something if I push it too hard. What's your opinion?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I too make multiple passes. The strain on the machine with single passes as well as the shrill from the bit scare me. As long as I do not have tracking issues, I am happy to wait the extra time to do multiple passes.

Before I started using carrier bases, I would just do a 1/4" deep single pass, rough cut out with the band saw, and then clean up on the router table using the 1/4" cut to guide the router bit bearing.

I attended the Carvewright Conference a couple of years ago - actually, I was one of the presenters. Joe Lovchik explained that they had extensively tested all of the bits, and recommended full-depth cut paths. I had previously used the 1/8" straight bit with 1/4" max pass for cutouts, but switched to the 3/16" bit full depth. I have had no issues. Yes the machine makes noise and the flex shaft wobbles, but it works.

DickB,

I'm curious what quality setting you use on your full depth cut outs. I noticed in designer that it does make a difference in carve time when quality is changed.

I have experimented with draft mode on a cut out and the machine seems to move faster as it cuts. However I was doing multiple passes at .280 depth.

I typically use Normal or Best. I haven't notices any change in the speed of cutouts with different quality settings.