Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Carrier base issues

Quote Originally Posted by DianMayfield View Post
    "The bit did touch the sliding plate but the problem occurred when the bit was measuring board thickness. This is where the error started." What error? The bit should not reach the sliding plate when using the sled, it is too thick. Just hit continue when you get the prompts.

The roller falls off the "board" is actually falling off the carrier. It WILL try to find the end of the "board", which is now mounted flush in the carrier, so the carrier is seen as the board.

This may be the problem. When measuring the board it never measured to the very end of the carrier. As the carvewright was measuring length it stopped just after the end of my carving board, not the entire length of the carrier.

Ahh, I have used a white piece of paper taped across wide gaps between the end the board and the end of the carrier, rather than filling the gap with tape (expensive to do a lot).

Quote Originally Posted by trainerjay View Post
    The roller doesn't technically "fall off" the board. The board I'm carving is 3/4"and the carrier was designed to hold a 3/4" board. When I place the board I'm carving in the carrier the board ends are flush with the carrier.
    The roller has to fall off of the board when measuring where a board end is. This is an unavoidable part of the measuring process.

The roller will also fall off of the board during carving if your carving area is closer than 3 1/2" from the end of the board. This is the reason for the 7" rule.

Quote Originally Posted by trainerjay View Post
    This may be the problem. When measuring the board it never measured to the very end of the carrier. As the carvewright was measuring length it stopped just after the end of my carving board, not the entire length of the carrier.
    You must have chosen "Place on End (or Corner)". In this case, it only locates the far end of the board and then rolls along only far enough to check that the board is long enough. (The choice "Place on Center" causes the machine to locate both ends of the board.) With "Place on end", only the far end of the board has to be flush with the carrier but this will not keep the far end of the board under the rollers when carving. You need to add a 3 1/2" spacer at the end (Or a few layers of masking tape across the carrier to fool the board sensor.)

"Place on end", however, creates a problem for the width placement. You would like the width to place on center but it only does that if you choose "Place on Center". A way around that is to include the width of the carrier in Designer as the width of the board.

This is a suggestion for a method to try.

1. In Designer, make your board 12" long and 13 1/2" wide. (Maybe a little less than 13 1/2" if the machine measures the width of the carrier less.)
    2. Add a 3 1/2" spacer board to the end of your carrier.
    3. Choose Yes to "Stay under the Rollers".
    4. Choose "Place on end" or "Place on Corner". (Place on Corner will be the option if the width measures larger than 13 1/2")

(When the machine tries to measure the board thickness, it will not be able to touch the sliding plate and will go through a little song and dance about the sliding plate. Answer yes and input 3/4" as the board thickness.)

4. Default

I bought the carrier base about a year or so ago, but never attempted to cut it and assemble. #1 Is there and update to the pattern I shoukd know about. #2 Where do I get assembly instructions and hardware list. I search LHR and couldnt find it. Finally I have a corian project coming up and I can see the sled as an asset. Thanks Ed

Quote Originally Posted by edsingletary View Post
    I bought the carrier base about a year or so ago, but never attempted to cut it and assemble. #1 Is there and update to the pattern I shoukd know about. #2 Where do I get assembly instructions and hardware list. I search LHR and couldnt find it. Finally I have a corian project coming up and I can see the sled as an asset. Thanks Ed
    You should have received the instructions on how to build it with the purchase. Go back to your email confirmation to see if it had a down load link.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Here are the files you should have downloaded.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails UCB Cover.pdf   UCB instructions .pdf  

I have been using this carrier for almost a year with only one problem in that the side rails black paint faded. Once I touched them up again I have had no issues. But I will say that it is important to follow the instructions when using the carrier in the CW. It was a great addition to my tools.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12