Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: getting ticked off about tracking issue

It's the position of the pattern on THIS board where the distance from the left end of the cut out is TOO Close to the left end of the board and like said above, the board lifts when out from under the roller and the tracking gets messed up.

A FrugAL fix for this is to tape a small section of cut off board on the end AND move the pattern and cut out to the right... On the Screen in Designer, the tracking roller is on the TOP of the screen so you move stuff to the LEFT on the screen. I draw a 4 inch box on the designer board then keep the art to the left.

I ALSO use Place on END or Corner rather than center on board.

AL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00793_WEB.jpg   b2.jpg   DSC00924_WEB.jpg   CLK1.jpg  

Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Hi AL

I think for a good and simple test it will be best to use the Center option and allow the project to be run on a board that is just over 7" longer than the design layout (this assumes he has laid out the project on a virtual board that the carvable area just fits, of course)

That way we don't introduce any other variables that could throw off the test

BTW I prefer not to Place on End. The reason is when the board length is measured I can visually verify (multiple times) there will be no tracking error by virtue of the board having to feed all the way through end to end. It's sort of a fail safe method to confirm the board will track true during the project actual run

I think it's also a good method to follow especially for newbies or when troubleshooting possible tracking issues
    Last edited by mtylerfl; 07-21-2017 at 12:50 PM.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

I have not used place on center (just jog to center), but wouldn't it run the board completely through to find center, or does it function like jog?

Quote Originally Posted by DianMayfield View Post
    I have not used place on center (just jog to center), but wouldn't it run the board completely through to find center, or does it function like jog?
    It measures the board, width/length, to find the center of the board.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Use hot glue and the back of your table saw fence as a guide to hot glue a 4" block to each end of a board at least 1/2" longer than your project - and 12/8" wider. (Blocks same thickness at your board and more than half the width.) Stay under the rollers, center, "no" on cut to size.
    Clint
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com

Hi Clint

I keep re-reading your post and am not understanding the part about the 4" end boards being 1/2" longer than the project and 12/8" wider

I had two cups of coffee before re-reading this morning and that still didn't help
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Because of Murphy's law I try to have my boards a teensy wider than called for to account for the machine's measuring. I am cheep so don't like to waste 7" of good wood for each project, so I hot glue a 4" piece the same thickness on each end. To get the pieces on straight so the board will track I use the table saw table and fence as a guide. Because the board sensor looks down the middle of the board when measuring the length, the glued on pieces only have to a little over half the width of the board for one sided carves. You will be asked - Stay under rollers? yes, Center on board? yes, Cut to size? no. Install your bits and away you go. Unless there is a special reason, jogging to position is too much unnecessary bother.
    Clint
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com

Ozark, Alabama, United States, 108704179153666, Ozark, Alabama

After reading the replies , I went out in the shop and took a good look at my machine . Guess what I saw? The exit tray was tilted down , I adjusted the tray and everything has been running smooth. I am on my 5th carve with no problems other than the screw on the new bit holder stripped out. I took it out and went to lowes and purchased a package of 2 screws for .87 cents. They work great.I was told you can order them from lowes using part number 138441 , I think I am going to order some more since they only had 1 pack. Thanks for all the replies to my problem.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12