Thread: Y position seems to be off by 6 inches

Default Y position seems to be off by 6 inches

It seems strange but my last carving quit with a y axis error and now my y positioning seems to be off by 6 inches. I have reset the calibration both for the Y axis individually and for everything, reformatted the card and redownloaded the latest machine code. but for some reason the whole y axis seems to be off by 6 inches. If I do a sensor check and read the Y axis it goes from -6 to 9. And if I do the y axis test, instead of coming all the way to the left when homing it only comes to the middle then goes to the right and hits the plate before it expect and stops with a y axis error. I put in a new FFC cable about a month ago so I doubt it is broken already.

I could I suppose put in a -6 inches on the y offset and see if that temporarily solves the issue, but I am thinking that is going to mask whatever the real problem is.

Suggestions?

Thnaks,
    dave

Check that the Y belt clamp on the back of the Y/Z truck did not come loose, Y gear box bearing, Y tensioner pully
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

I took the Y truck out and there is definitely play in that front plastic gear so I ordered a new Y motor since we can no longer order just the gear.

The y axis calibration happens when the machine starts up. It homes to the left until it hits. The y zero is the determined. I would think that your y axis system provides some resistance 6 inches from the left side. This resistance is mistaken for the left side of the machine during the homing.

Lumpy roller, scraping belt clamp, damaged belt,... Find out why it will not home all the way to the left.

But that could go back to the Y gear binding due to bad bearings. A few years back I repaired the shaft on a Y gear that was damaged by bad bearings. Ckeaned it yp good and used JB Weld to build it up. Then put it in my drill press and smoothed it with emery paper. If they don't sell the gear I guess we have to fix the ones we have - and change the bearings early.
    Clint
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com