Thread: Board measuring problem workaround

Default Board measuring problem workaround

Occasionally when the machine is measuring a board for aproject, after asking about the board width, the X motor will start again thenstop with a bogus tracking problem. If youchoose to proceed the board will measure too short. Abort and go to option 7 – measure board. Lift the head off the board and bring it backdown (otherwise the previous measurement will be sorted). Measure the board length. When completed (do not remove the board, sonot power down) press 1 for project menu and select your project. He will ask you all the usual questionswithout moving the board, then move left and ask for the bit(s).
    Clint

CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com

Another little secret that is great to know about these machines.

I have used this trick many times with long boards, where I find the outfeed rollers and supplemental rollers have to be adjusted just so to avoid tracking errors.

While we are on measuring boards, it is frustrating to do one side of a two sided carve and have the second side get a tracking roller failure. For two sided carves I always measure both sides, front side first, to be sure it will track. After measuring the back side I go right to Project Menu. If tracking fails I have a fix for that except for twisted - no hope there. If anyone is interested I will share my fix for that.
    Clint

I use a sled for stuff I do a lot, but usually just hot glue a 4" block to each end. But for tracking problems I attach a 1" wide strip of 1/8" plywood or hard board and longer than my board to each edge (tan masking taps or teeny screws). For a concave side down problem you can shim the center of the tracking roller side with pieces of sandpaper. I have a box of various width end blocks and several sets of strips. I have made sleds only to have them have tracking problems next time I use them.
    note: for a two sided carve only the left end block needs to be full width. Otherwise the end block only needs to be over 1/2 width.
    Clint