Thread: Opinion / help needed

Default Opinion / help needed

I was asked to make this picture into a lithophane, I did another one (of a different house) and it came out good but this one the slate roof looks like it will carve deep. I converted it into b/w and darkened it a little. Any ideas if you think this will carve ok or suggestions on how to make it better. I don't really have to tools to edit pictures so any other help would be appreciated greatly. Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img160 copy.png   img160.jpg  
    CarverJerry

ver. 1.188 Win 7- 64b with 6 GB ram @ 2.8Ghz and dual 1Tb hard drives. Rock Chuck & Ringneck vacuum system hooked up to a Harbor Freight large vacuum. Center line text, conforming vectors.

Jerry,

I played a little with the tone curves and made the darks a little brighter and less contrast to flatten out the picture a bit.

Not sure if any better since I've never done a lithophane and not sure exactly what to look for. If you want to play with this technique though, GIMP (free) can do the same.

Hopefully a graphics wizard can educate us both on how to properly do it. I am still a hack at it though slightly better than I used to be.

Oscar
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2017-07-06 16_01_36-Corel PaintShop Pro X9 - img160 copy.png   img160 copy.jpg  

That seemed to help a bit with the glare from the slate roof. I'm no expert with lithopanes, do know the lighter the color the deeper it carves. Have actually had a breakthrough before where an area was really white. I'll check back and see if anyone else chimes in. Thanks Oscar.
    CarverJerry

ver. 1.188 Win 7- 64b with 6 GB ram @ 2.8Ghz and dual 1Tb hard drives. Rock Chuck & Ringneck vacuum system hooked up to a Harbor Freight large vacuum. Center line text, conforming vectors.