Thread: Two sided carving problem (Help Please).

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Two sided carving problem (Help Please).

Hello all.

Very recently, a member at the Penturners Forum shared a project that he had done, for his mom. He was the owner of a CW machine, and his project consisted of a pen box that he had made, from a free pattern which was obtained from this site. It was 'Cross with Face' pattern, witha double-sided pattern layout.

Now, I'd never done a carving like this, before, but followed what bit of info I could find on it. Methinks, however, that I either did something that I shouldn't have done, or didn't do exactly as I should have done. What I did, was the following:

I placed two files, of the pattern, on my CW card. One, was for the front of the pattern, and the other referenced the backside. I called up the back side, first, and carved it. This was the side with the recessed area which is where the pen would rest. I then pulled up the front pattern side, flipped the board, and proceeded to carve THAT side. But I found, however, that the same carving (as ad been done on the back side) had carved on the front (top).

I am very anxious to make a nice, Christian pen & pen box, for my mom, and this pattern would be perfect. Any info on what might have caused this to go wrong, would be most appreciative.

Advanced thanks.

Blessings,
    Nathan
    ~ Blessings ~
    Nathan

Quote Originally Posted by NLAlston View Post
    Hello all.

Very recently, a member at the Penturners Forum shared a project that he had done, for his mom. He was the owner of a CW machine, and his project consisted of a pen box that he had made, from a free pattern which was obtained from this site. It was 'Cross with Face' pattern, witha double-sided pattern layout.

Now, I'd never done a carving like this, before, but followed what bit of info I could find on it. Methinks, however, that I either did something that I shouldn't have done, or didn't do exactly as I should have done. What I did, was the following:

I placed two files, of the pattern, on my CW card. One, was for the front of the pattern, and the other referenced the backside. I called up the back side, first, and carved it. This was the side with the recessed area which is where the pen would rest. I then pulled up the front pattern side, flipped the board, and proceeded to carve THAT side. But I found, however, that the same carving (as ad been done on the back side) had carved on the front (top).

I am very anxious to make a nice, Christian pen & pen box, for my mom, and this pattern would be perfect. Any info on what might have caused this to go wrong, would be most appreciative.

Advanced thanks.

Blessings,
    Nathan
    I'm not real sure of what you are trying to do. Pen boxes usually have 4 carving surfaces. An inside and an outside for the top and the bottom. One of the nicest features of the Carvewright machine is 2-sided carvings and works pretty good as long as there are no tracking issues. Assuming both of your projects have two sides with a carving on each side, place the first one in the machine bottom side up. When it completes the machine will prompt you to flip the board. Flip it short side to short side, not end for end. It will then measure the board again and carve the front. Repeat the process for the other half. There are many techniques that can be used, eg. place project in center of board, jog to position, using a sled, etc. Here is a link to the tips and tricks article on 2-sided carving.
    http://www.carvewright.com/assets/ti...cks_Sept09.pdf
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 07-06-2017 at 10:28 AM.
    Steve

Are you sure you did not mix up the files?

Why not merge the two files into one - this is the standard method for two-sided carvings. You will be prompted to load the back side first, then to flip the board when the back has been machined.

Quote Originally Posted by DickB View Post
    Are you sure you did not mix up the files?

Why not merge the two files into one - this is the standard method for two-sided carvings. You will be prompted to load the back side first, then to flip the board when the back has been machined.
    Thanks to you, Dick (as well as the other responder), for your input.

I have attached the MPC to the file that I wish to carve and, initially, thought that it would be an automated carving process - save for the notification to flip the board. Confusion DID set in, when I saw that the BACK of the board would be carved, first. I had thought that whatever side was 'showing' - when a file was uploaded to the card - would be the side which would be carved. I did download, and read over the CW Tutorial, on two-sided carvings, but still seem to be a bit in the dark about some things. For instance, my CW machine rendered notice, at one point, that the wood stock might be too shallow for the carving. It then offered a choice for me to ABORT, or CONTINUE. I chose to continue, since the person who sent me the file had success in making the pen box for his mother.

Maybe the bulb will click ON, for me , once I have time to REALLY immerse myself into that tutorial. I REALLY hope to get a handle on this, as I know that my mother would REALLY love it.

I need to find out what (if anything) i'd be required to do, outside of just flipping the board.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    ~ Blessings ~
    Nathan

Actually, I don't see a need to make this a two-sided carve, unless I am missing something. Won't this work?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Crosss modified.PNG 
Views:	22 
Size:	564.1 KB 
ID:	84405

You had the cutout on the inside of the outline. I think you want it on the outside, or you will be losing some of your carving. I did a Flip Cutout.

You are also wasting a lot of board space. I did not change your board size, but there's no reason not to put the two pieces closer together and make the board smaller.

Quote Originally Posted by DickB View Post
    Actually, I don't see a need to make this a two-sided carve, unless I am missing something. Won't this work?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Crosss modified.PNG 
Views:	22 
Size:	564.1 KB 
ID:	84405

You had the cutout on the inside of the outline. I think you want it on the outside, or you will be losing some of your carving. I did a Flip Cutout.

You are also wasting a lot of board space. I did not change your board size, but there's no reason not to put the two pieces closer together and make the board smaller.
    I am going to download your file, when I get on my laptop (on my iPad, right now).

One thing, though: I did not design this. What I had attached, in my previous post to you, was just as it was received from someone else. I DID, however, think that there was a bit too much wasted wood, there. However - with me not knowing diddly squat about such things - I just figured that it was as it was supposed to be. When you stated that you did a 'Flip Cutout', I don't know what you mean by that. Being that the BACK of the board will be cut, first, I am assuming that the FRONT of the board (with face) will be carved (after flipping) - and that the Cutout will automatically be cut in, along with that. Am I right about this?

Also, do I stay under the rollers, with this project? Or no?

Would I have to change carving bits, on this project? Or no?

I hope you don't mind these questions. But, I'm reasonably sure that - with the answers to them - I should be armed with what I need to get this carving done. I thank you SO MUCH.
    ~ Blessings ~
    Nathan

Since hinges would be difficult for this kind of project you might want to consider raised/recessed indexing to align the top and the bottom. Just a suggestion. I also made it a pierced project. I think that the irregular edges would make it difficult to sand otherwise. If you decide to use my example be sure to check all measurements to make sure everything aligns up properly. A test carve in scrap wood is recommended.

Just run it as a standard two sided carve.

This was done in version 3.1 using the extrude tool for the pen recesses.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cross Pen Box top.png   Cross Pen Box Bottom.png  
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 07-07-2017 at 02:12 PM.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by SteveNelson46 View Post
    Since hinges would be difficult for this kind of project you might want to consider raised/recessed indexing to align the top and the bottom. Just a suggestion. I also made it a pierced project. I think that the irregular edges would make it difficult to sand otherwise. If you decide to use my example be sure to check all measurements to make sure everything aligns up properly. A test carve in scrap wood is recommended.

Just run it as a standard two sided carve.

This was done in version 3.1 using the extrude tool for the pen recesses.
    Thanks, Steve. I'm saving YOUR version, also.
    ~ Blessings ~
    Nathan

Here is my version. Counter sink the hole in the bottom and install a #6 1" screw to make it a swing box.
    Clint
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com