Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Two sided carving problem (Help Please).

Quote Originally Posted by SteveNelson46 View Post
    Since hinges would be difficult for this kind of project you might want to consider raised/recessed indexing to align the top and the bottom. Just a suggestion. I also made it a pierced project. I think that the irregular edges would make it difficult to sand otherwise. If you decide to use my example be sure to check all measurements to make sure everything aligns up properly. A test carve in scrap wood is recommended.

Just run it as a standard two sided carve.

This was done in version 3.1 using the extrude tool for the pen recesses.
    Thanks, Steve. I'm saving YOUR version, also.
    ~ Blessings ~
    Nathan

Quote Originally Posted by NLAlston View Post
    When I did return, I found that the machine had stopped, with a notice for me to install the 1/16" carving bit. That bit is the one that I had started the carving with, so I just hit the ENTER key - which started the CW carving, again.
    That's not normal. Are you sure the machine did not ask for the 1/8" cutting bit? I have never experienced the machine asking for the same bit with which it just finished an operation. Also, when you say it started "carving" a second time, did it move the head in raster fashion, or did the bit follow the outline of the crosses? The machine always performs all raster carving first, before any other operation. It does not go back for a second raster carve operation.

I'm going to suggest that you run the attached test project. It's a simple carving followed by a cutout. You may change the board size as you see fit, but use either of the techniques to make sure the board stays under the rollers. The project is small and should not take very long, so stay at the machine for the entire operation. Record every machine prompt and your response.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by DickB View Post
    That's not normal. Are you sure the machine did not ask for the 1/8" cutting bit? I have never experienced the machine asking for the same bit with which it just finished an operation. Also, when you say it started "carving" a second time, did it move the head in raster fashion, or did the bit follow the outline of the crosses? The machine always performs all raster carving first, before any other operation. It does not go back for a second raster carve operation.

I'm going to suggest that you run the attached test project. It's a simple carving followed by a cutout. You may change the board size as you see fit, but use either of the techniques to make sure the board stays under the rollers. The project is small and should not take very long, so stay at the machine for the entire operation. Record every machine prompt and your response.
    Dick, again - I really thank you.

Yes, I am certain that the machine asked for the same bit - because of my wonderment as to WHY it was calling for the SAME bit.

No, the second operation was NOT done in Raster fashion. On this second run, the bit ran through the Outline of the pattern. The only thing that it appeared to NOT have done was within cutting all the way through the board. Hence, the need for me completing the project with my bandsaw.

I will complete your, attached, Test carve file, as soon as I can grab the time, when I get back home. Running out, to take care of a few things, and to get some wood to make a sled for the Cross project.

I will follow your recommendation to stay by the machine, and record my action to each prompt.

You are REALLY helping me, more than you know .
    ~ Blessings ~
    Nathan

Here is my version. Counter sink the hole in the bottom and install a #6 1" screw to make it a swing box.
    Clint
    Attached Files Attached Files
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12