Thread: How do you create quality patterns?

Default How do you create quality patterns?

I have had my machine going on 5 months now. I have struggled with creating quality patterns with a 3D look. Are there any advanced videos that are available online that anyone would recommend?

What software are you using? CW 3d or 3rd party software.

For CW tutorials I would recommend looking on youtube for Askbud. He left a legacy of knowledge on how to use the CW that is pretty useful.
    Last edited by oscarl48; 07-05-2017 at 10:21 AM.

I have been trying a combination of software from all the CW software to Photoshop. I can make basic patterns but can't really figure out the method to follow for more detailed patterns. Example being a person or animal.

There are different methods for making patterns. For example Alan Malmstrom is fantastic at making patterns using "depth maps". The rest of us use 3d software to create 3d models that we then convert to 2.5d patterns. Learning 3d graphics on your own is a steep endeavor. Its taken me 3 years to get where I am at and I still consider myself an advanced beginner.

I would recommend picking a single pattern making method and focusing your energies on learning the software and techniques for that method. 2d (photoshop, gimp, corel,...etc.) or 3d (moi3d, blender, zbrush,...etc).

2d has a quicker learning curve but I believe 3d is more versatile in the long run. The software ranges from free to "I need a 2nd mortgage".

Perseverance will be the key to your success. Don't give up and keep hacking at it. Eventually it will click. I love making models and patterns and I am slowly getting better.

Quote Originally Posted by carpercm View Post
    I have been trying a combination of software from all the CW software to Photoshop. I can make basic patterns but can't really figure out the method to follow for more detailed patterns. Example being a person or animal.
    One of the first things most newbees try is to carve a photograph or picture in wood. Myself included. Even though it can be done with little or no experience the quality will usually be unacceptable. There are many factors to getting a good pattern. Quality of the original photo is probably the biggest. Type of background, colors, other objects in the photo, etc. are factors also. Remember, color is interpreted as depth. The lighter the color the deeper the carve. Things like color editing, masking, and removing or replacing the background are almost always necessary to get good results. Rarely can a native photo be used to get a good carve without some editing. Especially low quality images from the internet.
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 07-20-2017 at 11:44 PM.
    Steve

Different things need different approaches. Sometimes you can import a logo into pattern editor (or use Paint.NET) and use the magic wand and paint bucket to sharpen the image and change the colors to adjust height. You can outline an object parts using the 2D suite and extrude or puff the parts. I have created banners and military logos this way. There is ShaderMap for height maps and Inkscape the convert a drawing into DXF. I think the ultimate is probably something like Blender. You can even hand carve then scan.
    Clint
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com