Thread: Post Deployment Cut Motor Issue

Default Post Deployment Cut Motor Issue

All,

I just returned from overseas after 6 months in the desert and the first thing I wanted to do was get back in the shop.
    So I started a project and didnt even think to re-lube the flexshaft, and needless to say, I fragged it. So $75 later I replaced the flexshaft and all was good.
    However, yesterday during a very simple 23 min project, I got a Z axis error and had to start over.
    Now here's where it gets interesting, now I have no cut motor function. Normally when swapping bits in the setup, there is a short spin when the homing process starts, and now I have none.
    It's essentially air carving with no motor power.

After review of some of the previous posts, I see it can be either the AC Cut Motor switch, Controller Cut Off Switch, or the X Termination board. Whats the easiest way to determine cause? Or is it just easier to replace all three?

Glad to be home....

Mike

I would first check the connections at the cut motor and the right cover switch. These seem likely since you had the top cover off to replace the flex.

Yep, its the cut off switch, right side. Motor engages when you push against it.

Thanks B!

Welcome Back and look at the black cover position and the gap where the flex goes down to the board. What can happen is the cover can be out of place and on a UP Stroke the flex catches on the under side of the black plastic cover slot.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC03362.JPG   DSC03351_WEB.jpg  
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Here is how I do it. Get an AC power cord with the plug still attach but the other end cut. Strip the ends about 1/2" and twist the end tight and plug it in a switched power strip. Unplug the motor wires at the motor and insert the ends of the power chord and tape them in place. Turn the power strip on and the motor should fire up. If not = bad motor. If the motor is ok, put that back together and reinstall the lid. Lay the machine on it's back and remove the bottom. On the right there is a pair of wires thswt are plugged into the X term board that go way to the right and up thru the machine. Plug your power cord into that connector and be sure the cover is closed properly and hit the power. Theoretically the motor should run. If no + bad cover switch, if yes, check for AC to the X term board from the Power Board. If AC is ok (probably will be) = bad X term board. You should see signs of over heating on the X term Board.
    Clint
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com