Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wow! A first

Quote Originally Posted by dltccf View Post
    I think the slowdown is directly related to the amount going on over on the facebook page. I see a lot of the questions asked there are already addressed here, but I think people find it easier to use FB because they are checking there already for other things than to come to a dedicated forum.
    There does seem to be more FB activity going versus the forum. Seems to be more new users there asking the questions like what used to be here. Not sure but I think people like the instant chat format, you ask and then get instant notification of a response. But there is no place like home!
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Did someone here request a meltdown?

hope you're well and I do enjoy reading about everyone's adventures with their CW

Lawrence

I've noticed more folks (especially over the last year or so), using FaceBook instead of, or in addition to, ALL forums. Personally, I don't like using FaceBook instead of a dedicated forum, for a number of reasons.

FaceBook is somewhat of a chaotic mess if you are trying to locate a previous post made on a particular topic. A dedicated forum is FAR BETTER for that. It also spreads information over two areas (or several), creating confusion. If a user sticks to using the forum for posting questions/answers, uploading photos of their cool projects and so on, we have a very nice, convenient, focused place to visit. Nowadays, some post on FaceBook, some post on the forum (again, this is not isolated to the CW Forum - it's happening on all of them.)

I'm not against posting on FaceBook - I do it myself. However, I don't think a FaceBook page is suitable as a main source of information like a forum. FaceBook is horrible for that in the long-term. Short-term Q&A is fine, but quickly gets buried as new posts are made (I think we all can testify to that.) I think of FaceBook as a sort of "blog" which we can enjoy, but it is certainly no replacement for a dedicated forum IMO.

I like what a friend of mine says often..."Pick a lane!" Meaning, make a choice where you want to post and receive your main information.

It's a tough situation right now, as I think the younger folks "prefer" FaceBook and don't realize how much better a forum can be for archiving and finding information over the long haul. After awhile, I think most folks will come to realize there is no good replacement for a dedicated forum and it should be their primary "go-to" place to visit for a particular product or field.
    Last edited by mtylerfl; 06-26-2017 at 10:33 AM.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Quote Originally Posted by mtylerfl View Post
    I've noticed more folks (especially over the last year or so), using FaceBook instead of, or in addition to, ALL forums. Personally, I don't like using FaceBook instead of a dedicated forum, for a number of reasons.

FaceBook is somewhat of a chaotic mess if you are trying to locate a previous post made on a particular topic. A dedicated forum is FAR BETTER for that. It also spreads information over two areas (or several), creating confusion. If a user sticks to using the forum for posting questions/answers, uploading photos of their cool projects and so on, we have a very nice, convenient, focused place to visit. Nowadays, some post on FaceBook, some post on the forum (again, this is not isolated to the CW Forum - it's happening on all of them.)

I'm not against posting on FaceBook - I do it myself. However, I don't think a FaceBook page is suitable as a main source of information like a forum. FaceBook is horrible for that in the long-term. Short-term Q&A is fine, but quickly gets buried as new posts are made (I think we all can testify to that.) I think of FaceBook as a sort of "blog" which we can enjoy, but it is certainly no replacement for a dedicated forum IMO.

I like what a friend of mine says often..."Pick a lane!" Meaning, make a choice where you want to post and receive your main information.

It's a tough situation right now, as I think the younger folks "prefer" FaceBook and don't realize how much better a forum can be for archiving and finding information over the long haul. After awhile, I think most folks will come to realize there is no good replacement for a dedicated forum and it should be their primary "go-to" place to visit for a particular product or field.
    I'm with you Michael. Before retirement I was in the information technology field for 20 years so I'm not opposed to new forms of communication but Facebook just seems frivolous and scatter-brained. IMO, Facebook and other "social media" was spawned from people's insecurities. "Look at me. I'm really great. Look at these insignificant pictures I took. Me, me, me." I really don't care to read a minute by minute playbook of what other people are doing and there are other forms of communication that are much more efficient.
    Steve

I stopped using Facebook a few years ago, all that personal info available - eek! I would suppose that there are uses in a business sense, just haven't explored it.

My point is that the forums really need to be promoted on their Facebook page, the place to build community, research problems, get pattern help, get patterns, blah, blah, blah. If this is already happening, pardon my knowledge gap . I know at the conference, there were not hand outs available of the different resources.

Not quite sure how to put this down. I subscribe to the Facebook group as well as check the forum daily. I use the Facebook group to see what people are making, it seems there are a lot more posts (and pictures) of projects that people have done than on the forum. BUT information that is accessible in an organized way and the knowledge that the members are anxious to share on this forum is vital me and many others. This place is important.
    My machines are in storage right now while I build a new workspace so for the time being I have to sit on the sidelines.

Quote Originally Posted by Sliverfoot View Post
    Not quite sure how to put this down. I subscribe to the Facebook group as well as check the forum daily. I use the Facebook group to see what people are making, it seems there are a lot more posts (and pictures) of projects that people have done than on the forum. BUT information that is accessible in an organized way and the knowledge that the members are anxious to share on this forum is vital me and many others. This place is important.
    My machines are in storage right now while I build a new workspace so for the time being I have to sit on the sidelines.
    Wow, I could almost claim that post as my own.... I visit the FB Page too and believe that because people can have "Others" see the work they do easier, they use FB... And I too have not fired up my machine in almost 3 Months.... Have a supply of tags already cut but have been dealing with a sick Family Member since mid April and have done zero shop work.... All better now so back to work... I file semiannual Sales and Use Tax on the 30th and I think I have one invoice for the year for about $200.00 in sales... Can we say a "Slow Year....".... Many Fire Departments have see a sharp drop in funds and less Grant Money to go around and are picking a cheaper option in tags and boards. I send a lot of Price Lists and Samples but few call back... That's the problem with being the most expensive. And like the original POST about lack of activity HERE.... I usually see a drop off in orders in the summer as less Firemen go to the meetings so they don't vote to spend the money.

AL
    Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 06-26-2017 at 02:31 PM.
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

And too many are using FB as their own "personal family photo album," I really don't care what they had for dinner or bragging about something something in their life.

Right now there is around 130 people on the forum but only about 3 logged in. Back in 2007 when I started on the forum the number on the forum was probably about the same but easily way more were actually logged in. There was always a good number of guests and as I have talked/chatted with users they have admitted that they use the forum as a resource for information but very seldom post. Some have stated that they were active here but have backed off do to feeling attacked (probably to strong of a word) for their posts/opinions. These things are probably about the same today.

What has changed though IMO is way less machine issues and questions about how to do certain design features. The machine upgrades, software documentation and videos lessened the need of new users to seek out or post on the forum. Also I think the amount of information already posted here has made it easier to bring up like type topics to look at when using the search feature. I think any key word will bring up a minimum of 3 pages of posts.

Just my thoughts....
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

I look at the facebook page just to see what's going on. but I use this forum for all my questions. If it wasn't for this forum I would be lost. this forum keeps my machine going. The help you get here is like no other forum.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast