Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Butterfly Box

This is beautiful. Thank you for posting the lint to vectric. I have been to that site before, but could not figure out how to use the files posted there in the CW.

Quote Originally Posted by DevvyM View Post
    This is beautiful. Thank you for posting the lint to vectric. I have been to that site before, but could not figure out how to use the files posted there in the CW.
    It's not real complicated but it does require the appropriate Vectric software and the knowledge to use it. The original for the Butterfly Box was created in V-Carve Pro so I opened it in Aspire, generated the tool paths, created a 3D model from the tool paths and then exported it as an .stl. Aspire is the flagship of the Vetric company and an extremely powerful program. It's used by the pros and can do some pretty amazing things. You also need the STL importer for the Designer.
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 06-20-2017 at 12:30 AM.
    Steve

Again, great job! It came out beautiful.

Very Nice Steve.
    Don

Rates as one of the most beautiful boxes. Really love the result, the box alone is gorgeous but adding in the hinge really takes it over the top.
    Thx for sharing it.
    Rick H

Thanks to all. It was a fun project to make. Overall I think it took me about 5 or 6 days to complete. High temperatures of 115 degrees here in Tucson make it difficult to work during the day. Even after dark the temperature is over 100 degrees for several hours. The rainy season will be here soon and, hopefully, cool it down a bit in the afternoons.
    Steve

Steve Great carve. Can you do a PDF on how to do the hing . For us old timers still running 187.

Quote Originally Posted by RogerB View Post
    Steve Great carve. Can you do a PDF on how to do the hing . For us old timers still running 187.
    Roger,

Attached is a picture of the hinge parts. The ones shaped like a "P" attach to the lid. The distance between the bottom of the hole and the bottom of the part is the same as the thickness of the lid. The other parts fit in a groove or pocket in the base. Only three are needed. One for each end and one in the middle for added support.

If you go to the Vectric forum website and search for "Butterfly box" there are DXF files for the smaller version in one of the posts that you can download. I don't think you have to be a member to download files.

Almost to the bottom of page 5
    http://forum.vectric.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=22383&hilit=butterfly+box&star t=60

You can also refer to the case study that Vectric did:

http://www.vectric.com/cool-stuff/ca...dyHartman.html
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hinge Parts.png   Hinge1.jpg  
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 06-22-2017 at 12:23 PM.
    Steve

Thank you Steve

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12