Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Butterfly Box

Default Butterfly Box

This is my latest project. The original was designed by llwood on the Vectric forum and I adapted it for the Carvewright. Since I didn't have any 2" thick Cherry to make up the body I had to laminate 3/4" pieces together and then carved it with the 1/8" long bit as one piece. Really long carve! The hinge is made of small individual parts and is solid Cherry also except for the brass hinge pin and the small brass screws that secure each section to the lid. The lid is 7/16" thick Cherry and both halves were carved as one project at the same time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Butterfly Box 2.jpg   Butterfly Box 5.jpg   Butterfly Box 11.jpg   Butterfly Box 14.jpg  

Last edited by SteveNelson46; 06-19-2017 at 01:27 PM.
    Steve

Steve very nice did you see the private message I sent you
    Henry

Every one has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.

Great job Steve, very nice work.

Great job on the Butterfly Box...............

Outstanding !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Happy Carving

Robert D.
    rcdages

CarveWright START U Team Member.

The mightiest oak in the forest is just a little nut
    that held it's ground.

Wow!!! Nice job and very​ unique.

Steve, very cool. Love the hinge.

- O

Quote Originally Posted by Dale View Post
    Wow!!! Nice job and very​ unique.
    Thanks but I can't take the credit for the design. However, it was a little bit of a challenge to adapt it for the Carvewright. The biggest challenge was the all wooden hinge. The individual pieces are very small and accuracy is tantamount. I had to carve the hinge three times. Good thing that it was only a thirteen minute cut. My thoughts were that since they were just vector cuts that the 7" rule really wasn't necessary. Big mistake. I have got away with it in the past but these parts were so small that a misalignment of even a few thousandths of an inch will not allow the hinge pin to align the parts to within sanding tolerance.
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 06-19-2017 at 02:21 PM.
    Steve

reminds me of a butterfly box Michael Tyler created as a POM a few years ago. Although his was a rectangle box on the bottom so that is a nice variation.

dave

Steve,

You should place this for sale on the CarveWright Pattern Depot
    as a Project.
    Happy Carving

Robert D.
    rcdages

CarveWright START U Team Member.

The mightiest oak in the forest is just a little nut
    that held it's ground.

Quote Originally Posted by rcdages View Post
    Steve,

You should place this for sale on the CarveWright Pattern Depot
    as a Project.
    There are a couple of problems with putting it in the PD. First, the original isn't mine. It was adapted from a project by llwood and posted on the Vectric forum. They claimed that they found the butterfly on the internet but it looks amazingly similar to Michael Tyler's butterfly box that was posted back in 2009 as a POM. I don't want to step on anyone's toes. They did, however, post it as a free project and, as far as I know, without restrictions. Second, the base was a 16 hour carve on "Optimal" and 12 hours on "Best" and the lid was a 5 hour carve on "Optimal". There are probably not too many carvers that are willing to carve a project that takes that long. It also has to be carved in version 3 with the long 1/8" carving bit.

It only took a few minutes (~35) to carve the original on a Legacy CNC. All of the cuts were done as vector cuts (toolpaths) and used special bits.

EDIT: I suppose one could split it into 3/4" layers, carve it as vector cuts and then laminate the layers together to achieve the thickness. Sanding the inside would take a considerable amount of time though.

Here is a link to the Vectric website that has the article that featured it:

http://www.vectric.com/cool-stuff/ca...dyHartman.html
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 06-19-2017 at 06:19 PM.
    Steve

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast