Thread: Bit not touching surface

Default Bit not touching surface

Finally using the Carvewright more, and it is leading to questions <smile>.

Earlier today I was running a test carve and all went fine. I made some modifications, selecting a few different bits and depths. Now when the system goes through the initial setup/calibration, some of the bits (90 degree v-grove, 1/16 & 1/32) are touching the arm that swings out, and others (60 degree v-grove) is not. When I let the machine go ahead and start to carve, the bit doesn't touch the wood surface. As mentioned, earlier today, everything seemed to work fine and I made no changes other than the MPC (attached) and the board dimensions are accurate of the actual board.

A few weeks ago, I did upgrade to the Carvetight, but I don't know how that would impact this IF it worked earlier today.

I'd appreciate any thoughts anyone has.

Thanks
    Rob
    Attached Files Attached Files

Since the V60 is the shortest bit then the Carvetite head must travel the furthest DOWN to touch the bit plate. Sometimes the roller bearing rails get dirty at that further down reach and the dust on the rails simulates the bit touching the bit plate. The machine is looking for a increase in current to the servo motor and the dust bump can give a false reading. Clean the rails.
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

I would guess that your problem is with only those bits that use a slide on adapter. There is a range of length between the tip of the bit and the chuck. Try lowering the bit and using stop collars to make sure the bit is inserted to the same length each time.
    Steve

Steve, I am currently using a stop collar. The order is chuck adapter, collar, actual bit. Not sure I can do it any other way. Is that the correct order? It does feel that the bits are not down as far as they used to be with the older quick release collars.

I did have a bit of dust on the rail. I have cleaned it off, but haven't had time to try it out again.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Steve, I am currently using a stop collar. The order is chuck adapter, collar, actual bit. Not sure I can do it any other way. Is that the correct order? It does feel that the bits are not down as far as they used to be with the older quick release collars.

I did have a bit of dust on the rail. I have cleaned it off, but haven't had time to try it out again.
    The bit stop goes on the bit shaft and then the adapter. Set the stop so that the end of the bit shaft is flush with the end of the adapter.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Problem resolved. I cleaned the rails REALLY good and then didn't seat the bit quite as high in the chuck. All worked great, until the last change to the 60 degree bit and it said it didn't reference the same height, but I let it proceed. It just didn't carve as deep, but very acceptable.

Thanks everyone for the help!