Thread: 4 sided object scanning

Default 4 sided object scanning

Is it possible to scan the front, back, left side and right side of an object and then carve the object? Has anyone done it?

Hopefully Michael Tyler will see your post. He did a presentation at last years conference demonstrating this process using a free app downloaded onto his cell phone.

The app is Autodesk 123d catch. There are great vidios on the program. Google Autodesk 123d Catch.

Yes you should be able to scan all 4 sides and then set it up to carve. Dan has done 4 sided carves using a special jig. His was not from a scan but would be the same process.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

I have been looking but have not found the information. Can I scan an object that is mounted on my rotary jig? That would be better than trying to match up 4 separate scans and to match up 4 separate sides to carve.

I believe you can scan on the rotary jig. I have done it but I forget now what I did! The tricky part is to get the initial scan depth and area set. A little experimenting and you should be able to do it.

See: https://forum.carvewright.com/showth...465#post227465
    Last edited by bergerud; 06-10-2017 at 07:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    I believe you can scan on the rotary jig. I have done it but I forget now what I did! The tricky part is to get the initial scan depth and area set. A little experimenting and you should be able to do it.

See: https://forum.carvewright.com/showth...465#post227465
    To get the area one could touch the top of the project, rotate it 360 and touch the project bottom. To get the depth it seems that one should touch the lowest point on the project since you cannot get to the rotational axis with the project in the way.