Thread: Carving depth

Default Carving depth

I want to carve some playing cards for a project in our game room. I have imported the cards and placed them, but when I ran a sample the depth of the clubs, hearts, etc made the card barely recognizable. The depth changes the overall depth not just the carving. I have tried inverting, but still not enough difference between the actual card height and the suit and number. I thought maybe the depth profile would help, but it is greyed out.

Any suggestions on how I fix this?

Thanks much!
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by DickB View Post
    Post your mpc please.
    Sure, here you go. Would appreciate your advice. You will notice, I am trying inverted, different depths, etc. as I try to determine what will work best, then I can apply it to the entire project.

Thanks, Rob
    Attached Files Attached Files

On the 7 of clubs, try setting the height to 999. This raises the clubs and 7s to the surface of the board. Is that what you are looking for?

This is going to be a difficult carve because of the pattern. The numerals (7 for example) are very thin and will likely chip out. You should apply some draft to help avoid chip out, but because of your depth (.2) the draft does not look good because the clubs are close together and the draft of one club interferes with another. (Try adding small then medium draft to see what I mean).

My suggestion would be to set your project up with smaller components. Import only a single heart, club, spade, and diamond. Make the size of them such that when you arrange say 7 clubs on a card, the individual clubs are spaced well apart from one another so there is no interference when you apply draft. Use the text tool to make the numerals and pick a font sufficiently thick to avoid chip out. Use at least small draft. For the size of these cards you should stay shallow with the carve - say .1". Or invert - have the card flush with the surface and carve the suits and numerals deeper.

Thank you Dick. This was tremendously helpful. My preference is the inverted, but the height setting made that more doable. I want to see what this looks like, but you are likely right, I will need to go with a single larger pic of the suit and then just the number.

Have a great weekend and thank you again for the help!
    Rob

Were you looking for something like this?
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Steve