Thread: Autodesk Fusion 360, Looks REALLY good!

Default Autodesk Fusion 360, Looks REALLY good!

Time flies when you're having fun, time for my biennial post again already!

I've only occasionally used my Carvewright in the past several years now, but I still always lurk around here to see what you are all up to.

I've been trying to find time to run my machine more the last couple of weeks. I did upgrade to Designer 3, mainly to get the vector grouping.
    But even after all these years I still struggle with making 3d models, I have a little better luck, or more patience creating vector designs.

But I think I may have found another great tool to add to our already long list of software option. I've always had the DXF and STL importer. I've used Sketchup to create both of those and Inkscape to create DXF files.

But recently I started experimenting with Autodesk Fusion 360, it's free to use for hobbyists.
    Now it may be overly complicated for some, but for me I think it is going to work extremely well.
    It has the ability to export STL and DXF files.
    In the past I've drawn projects in Sketchup, created my shop drawing for the traditional woodworking portion from Sketchup, exported a portion as an STL, redraw a portion in Inkscape to add vector detail, drag that all into Designer to finish it up.
    In Fusion360 it looks like I can model everything, export the 3D parts as and STL, export the vectors as a DXF, and still output standard shop drawing.
    I have not done all of this myself yet, I'm still learning and watching all the excellent videos that they offer, but from what I've seen so far, I'm extremely impressed.
    I was never able to wrap my mind around Blender, Sculptris was super fun to play with but I never created anything useful. Aspire and other are just to expensive for my needs, Fusion 360 seem more intuitive, and I think it is going to be capable of doing everything I want, but I'll be able to learn it.

All of that flexibility also comes with extra layers of complication and learning that you don't encounter if you just use Designer and the add-ons, but it is another very powerful option for those that can utilize it.

It's not a very stunning example, but a small proof of concept.
    I did model these jig and fixture knobs this morning in Fusion 360, I exported it as a DXF, used the importer to bring it into Designer, then mirrored it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170608_111803660_HDR.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	1.37 MB 
ID:	84282

Hopefully a few of you will try Fusion 360, I know many of you have the abilities to really do some cool stuff with it.

Good to see all of you again!

Justin Pierce, aka spalted
    *Pattern Editor (Probe) * Centerline * Dxf Import * STL Importer * Version 3 Standalone * Advanced 3D * Advanced 2D * Conforming Vectors * Rotary *C Machine *Rock Chuck

Thank you for sharing. It looks pretty good and definitely a whole lot user friendly than blender.

I'll have to stick with blender since I finally have the basics down. Only took three years.

Hope the software works for you and we start seeing some cool patterns.

- O

It's been years since I messed with Blender, it might be better now. I wanted to like it, but I just didn't have the patience to learn to use it.

*Pattern Editor (Probe) * Centerline * Dxf Import * STL Importer * Version 3 Standalone * Advanced 3D * Advanced 2D * Conforming Vectors * Rotary *C Machine *Rock Chuck

In the short three years I have been using it, it has completely evolved. It is a beast to learn on your own. I quit it twice and it wasn't until the third time I attempted to learn it that something clicked and it started to make sense. So if you try it again you may not even recognize it. Every few months there is a new feature or the interface is tweaked. There are now commercial add ons as well to expand its usability.

It is massive overkill for pattern making but its tons of fun for all the rest. I am staring to learn how to do 3d movie animations now as an example with it.

Good luck with the fusion 360. It does look much more streamlined.

Maybe someday I'll check it out again.