Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Inlay Technique for STARS

expensive, but how about pupal heart? Impressive job on the stars.
    Clint
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com

I am late getting into this conversation, but I have don inlays of 1/8 in flat material. Step 1 clear area with carved out area and 1/16 carving bit. 2. Flatten the edges with a 1/16" cutting bit 1/32 inset. 3. Copy and paste the shape and cut it out of gteh 1/8" inlay material with the1/16" cutting bit -1/32 inset.
    Clint
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com

Default Finally

Took way longer than it should have and I still haven't been to the wood shop. So decided to go with the African mahogany and maple I had already cut. The distinction is not as pronounced as I would have liked but better than I feared. I am sure with time the mahogany will get darker.

But overall really pleased. Now I have to figure out what I am going to do with it. I originally planned to hang it up like a picture frame on my military memorabilia wall with my shadowbox but it is heavy. It measures about 29" by 17".

Hope to see other folks attempt at doing this.

- O
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_4779.jpg  

Oscar that looks ------- great. I wish I had the time to do one up myself, but life is not playing that way right now.

Wow! Oscar, that looks really nice! I like the subtle contrast of woods and the star inlays are superb. Excellent work! Thank you for your inspiration.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Mugs, Michael, thanks.

Mugs, I hear you about the lack of time. It feels like I am rushing to slap these projects together instead of doing real carpentry. Normally I would have run each piece through the jointer and planer to ensure a perfect glue joint. Instead I just cut them and hand planed the big imperfections. I have a few less than perfect joints. They are hard to see but I know.

In the end it does look good so happy. Oh and the light stripes are beech and not maple. The stars are maple. So black walnut, maple, African mahogany, and beech.

I would love to see what folks are doing with inlay techniques.

- O

This is what I've been looking for, I've been making my flags using a hand held Dremmel tool. I tried to down load your file however i'm getting a unable to open, written by a newer version of the software. I'm running 1.880 what was this written in?
    Thanks,
    Terry
    Terry Davis
    N5JBD

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234