Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Inlay Technique for STARS

Well, it looks like I am going to have to wait till next weekend to finish my flag. I had bought just enough black walnut to finish the project. With the first two failed attempts I did not have enough left for the stripes.

I cut some beech and mahogany for the stripes but they are too close in color. I thought the mahogany would stand out more.

First time I've used beech. My tools do not like it. Fairly hard but a lot of internal stresses. Kept grabbing at my table saw blade as I cut it causing even some smoke.

But super happy with the maple star inlays in the walnut. Labor intensive but results are excellent. My opinion is this technique will work with other shapes easily for more advanced inlay work.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_4749.JPG  

That looks pretty impressive.

The stars look awesome!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------

George
    Life is short....drink the good wine first!

Thanks guys. I am a little disappointed that I couldn't finish it this weekend. It would have been perfect for the fourth of July. But unfortunately because it is the fourth of July the base wood shop is closed. So hoping I can make it to the wood shop on Weds or Thurs to get the lumber I need.

Very sharp Oscar, can't wait to see the rest.

Outstanding work Oscar!! Looking forward to the finished project!

The star inlays look fantastic! Excellent job!

I would have been tempted to apply regular (orange) shellac on the Mahogany and clear shellac (SealCoat) on everything else. That way, the contrast between the Beech and Mahogany might have been sufficient. If for use outdoors, I would then apply a clear outdoor finish overall.

ive had very good experience with Beech. But, as you know, internal stresses can be completely unpredictable from board-to-board in most any wood.
    Last edited by mtylerfl; 07-03-2017 at 07:34 PM.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Michael, I was really, really tempted. I am concerned with bleed over using oil stains (I'm not too familiar with shellacs or stains really). I normally just either oil, poly or lacquer and let the wood shine.

Just gave me a chance to sit in front of the computer and do some modeling for patterns building .

It's going to be gorgeous, whatever wood choice and finish you decide upon I'm sure.

Good to have the opportunity for some modeling time!
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Quote Originally Posted by oscarl48 View Post
    Michael, I was really, really tempted. I am concerned with bleed over using oil stains (I'm not too familiar with shellacs or stains really). I normally just either oil, poly or lacquer and let the wood shine.

Just gave me a chance to sit in front of the computer and do some modeling for patterns building .
    Came out awesome Oscar! I would wipe down the mahogany and beech with a wet cloth. In my experience some mahogany tends to look dull before finish applies to where maple has almost matched but a gorgeous brown contrast once finish is applied
    -Paul
    "The secret to getting ahead is getting started." -Mark Twain

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast