Thread: Need a little more help

1. Default Need a little more help

Hi All,

Well I did the carve for my Husband the Dueling Chevelle's he Love it. How ever I notice that every time I do a carve, it does not do it according to my board size? On this carve it was 24.00 x 12.00 as you can see it did not use up the board, I am not sure why or what I might be missing. I greatly appreciate any help you send my. Learning slowly, but I keep on trying. Thank you in advance hope you all have a nice weekend.

LoriblackdogClick image for larger version. 

Name:	FSCN0229.JPG 
Views:	40 
Size:	4.45 MB 
ID:	84903

Lori,

Great Sign!!

Did it ask you to "fit to board" on the machine (I forget the actual wording). If the machine sees that the board is too small, it will ask if you want to fit or scale in some way.

A 1/16 inch too small board and the machine will want to resize. I always measure the board, before I upload the project, just in case I need to change it a tiny bit.

Always make your real board 7 inches longer than your designed board. Those hard lines on the left, I believe, are where the board came out from under the rollers and tipped up a bit.

You can also use a sled. http://www.carvewright.com/assets/ti...icks_Apr08.pdf Sleds
    http://www.carvewright.com/assets/ti...icks_Mar09.pdf Scaling/resizing
    http://support.carvewright.com/learning_guide/ The learning guide
    Last edited by DianMayfield; 10-15-2017 at 09:10 AM.

3. Default

Hi Diane,

Thank you for the information. Now I just need to learn how to do the making of the sled. I have bookmarked the 3 links you gave me so I will start there. Thank you for liking my board, My husband Loves it. I am slowly learning. Have a great weekend.

Loriblackdog

Lori,

Generally, you do not want the project to fill the board. Several reasons. One, the compression rollers need space to keep even pressure on the board. Two, unless you are doing something specific, you don't want the bit to cut off of the edge of the board. I usually center my projects to leave at least 1/2" on each side and 3 1/2" on each end. Regardless of the techniques you use there will always be some wood that is wasted. You can use a sled to minimize the waste and compensate for the extra width and length but for beginning users it might be best to just allow for the wasted wood. There are many types of sleds and many techniques to use them. I would not recommend using one until you are completely comfortable with the machine and how it works.
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 10-15-2017 at 11:17 AM.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by SteveNelson46 View Post
    Regardless of the techniques you use there will always be some wood that is wasted.
    I don't agree with this Steve. My go-to sleds have 1" rails and 4" end caps. I can carve to the edges of my project board with no waste and stay under the rollers with adequate grip throughout.

Quote Originally Posted by DickB View Post
    I don't agree with this Steve. My go-to sleds have 1" rails and 4" end caps. I can carve to the edges of my project board with no waste and stay under the rollers with adequate grip throughout.
    I have made and used many types of sleds. Some of them I have saved and some were re-purposed for other projects. Bergerud's Universal Carrier Base is one of the better ones but it is complex and has a learning curve. I recommended not to use a sled until one is familiar with the machine because there are many things that can go wrong and adding the complexity of a sled may be confusing for beginning users.
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 10-15-2017 at 08:42 PM.
    Steve