Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Inlay Technique for STARS

Default Inlay Technique for STARS

I've approached the forum about this before with no success. I am hoping with as time has passed someone has come up with some ways of utilizing the software to suit these needs - I will post the link as follows : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITrF_PChtZk I am ng to see if anyone has attempted something like this with any success both for the v- inlay technique and/or a technique for inlaying that many stars. I know it can be done on the carvewright and if all else fails I will attempt the trial and error blindly but I know someone on here with a little more know how than I may have something to add. I'm not sure if I will be making the cutting board end grain like mtmwood in the video but I will definitely make the attempt with separate species and am not interested in trying to color epoxy before I get the suggestion - I'm aware of the method but am really trying to do an inlay. Hopefully someone can help. Thank you in advance!
    Paul
    -Paul
    "The secret to getting ahead is getting started." -Mark Twain

Paul, Interesting. I've never done this and not sure if you mean using the CW software only but with 3d software I think it is relatively easy to do. My concern would be the thickness of the 1/16" carving bit. I think I would go with 1 inch stars at the smallest.

This pattern literally took me 30 seconds to do.

I'll do a test carve this weekend to see how they look. It may be a good technique for me to learn. I've done inlays the old fashioned way before hand and it is time consuming.

- Oscar

P.S. Not sure I'll have much time this weekend so here are the patterns. If you get to it first let me know how they come out.

P.P.S. Thinking about this a little bit. It may be a two step carve were the star cavity is carved using dxf with the 90 or 45 bit and the star is carved with the carving bit. Since I don't have, use or need the dxf add-on someone else may have to chime in.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CW star inlay.png  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by oscarl48; 05-31-2017 at 08:07 AM.

The software carves either side the line, doesn't it? Is that close enough? Can you use feather and draft for the taper?
    thanks so much!
    karl

That is my thought as well. If I have time this weekend I will test carve to see how rounded the sharp edges become at different sizes. For somewhat larger stars (or shapes in general) it shouldn't be that big of a deal but the smaller the more pronounced the rounded edge affect due to the thickness of the bit.

I understand where y'all are coming from with carving and/or cutting inside or outside the line. Doing it as a raster may work but I don't know if this will work in all circumstances if it does indeed work depending on inlay type. My thoughts were to use a vector line and offset/negative offset the radius of the straight bit to avoid taper for traditional inlays but for this technique I figured the same would be accomplished followed by assigning th v bit to both positive and negative pieces and offsetting the radius of the v bit for both positive and negative pieced but that radius would probably vary depending on v bit depth. I will try giving it a shot this weekend oscar, I'm in hopes we can discover a new technique on the CW- maybe something they can create an algorithm for in pattern editor eventually. I suppose the taper on the 1/16th bit can be used in the same fashion as a V bit for an inlay creating two mating surfaces similar to a French cleat
    -Paul
    "The secret to getting ahead is getting started." -Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by gashawk View Post
    The software carves either side the line, doesn't it? Is that close enough? Can you use feather and draft for the taper?
    Just thinking, draft can change the size. Like on fonts.
    thanks so much!
    karl

Well the technique works to a certain extent. I think the limit is 3/4 inch before it fails (at least with the 1/16 bit). Test carved on some scrap pieces I had lying around. Turned out to be cherry and poplar. I would never actually use those together in a real project but they were on top of my scrap bin so used them.

I still think the smallest I would go is 1 inch with this technique but it is definitely doable with 3/4 in stars. I guess it all depends on the project.

They do look good though.

- O
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_4721.JPG  

They do look good. Nice experiment.

As usual great job,,, keep up the experiments that how we all learn.

Default Union Stars for a Flag

P2WW,

Attached are the files I use to carve the stars for the union on the US. Flag. I have different sizes, depending on the size of the flag. The carve time is about 1 hr 45 minutes, but the results are amazing! All boards are 3/4 in.

Small flag - 13"X24.5"...I cut down the 1.5" in pine farring strips into one strips Star: .7"
    Medium Flag - 19.5x37"... I use the 1.5" pine strips Star: 1.1"
    Large Flag - 26"X48"...I use the 2" pine boards Star: 1.4"

I uploaded the small flag with one set of stars missing (last 9) because the file was too big to load. If this is what you are looking for. You should be able to add them back by copying and pasting a row.

Dev
    Attached Files Attached Files

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast