Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Board Sensor After Only A Month!?

Question New Board Sensor After Only A Month!?

Well, so much for carving my dad's birthday gift...

Got my machine almost exactly a month ago from Rockler, and have only put 46 hours on the rotary motor. Machine gets a good cleaning after every project; but, yesterday I got a Clear Board Sensor error. I've cleaned the sensor with no success. Went through the troubleshooting guide, and ran through the Sensor Check in the Configuration Menu. Sensor is only showing 2-3 when over a board.

Surely the board sensor hasn't gone bad already!?

Got an email in with Carvewright...so we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by Cgav34 View Post
    Well, so much for my dad's birthday gift...

Got my machine almost exactly a month ago from Rockler, and have only put 46 hours on the rotary motor. Machine gets a good cleaning after every project; but, yesterday I got a Clear Board Sensor error. I've cleaned the sensor with no success. Went through the troubleshooting guide, and ran through the Sensor Check in the Configuration Menu. Sensor is only showing 2-3 when over a board.

Surely the board sensor hasn't gone bad already!?

Got an email in with Carvewright...so we'll see.
    wish you luck on getting a censor but hope your wood is not dark that would do it
    Henry

Every one has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.

Most of my projects have been oak (un-finished), and I've never had a problem. Did the sensor test with a piece of oak and with a piece of pine...same result.

Look closely at the little window with a mirror. The sensor can get dust in it. A blast of compressed air can sometimes make a difference.

Yes, it's possible fine dust got inside (behind) the small plastic window. Did you try using a toothbrush to clean the sensor? If the dust has just coated the outside, brushing and a blast of air might be all that's needed.

Failing that, you can remove the sensor and replace the little plastic window. I've done it twice...once for one of my machines and once for a fellow CarveWright user who lives near me. It's very unlikely that the sensor has gone bad...it's probable just a dusty or cloudy window. (I have two machines over ten years old...never replaced a board sensor...just replaced the plastic window on one of them.)

After removing the sensor, pry it apart and take out the window. Cut a new one from similar clear plastic (the plastic batteries come in is what I used if I recall). Put your new window in and seal around the edges with a tiny bit of clear silicon using a toothpick to apply.

Allow the silicon to cure and reinstall the sensor. Be careful not to pinch any wires during reinstall.

That should do it.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

If you're in a hurry to get the project done, take out the window, carve your project, clean the sensor thoroughly, then replace the window as soon as you have a chance.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

Quote Originally Posted by mtylerfl View Post
    Yes, it's possible fine dust got inside (behind) the small plastic window.....
    That was it!! Thanks for the tip.

Didn't think dust could get in there, but I guess I'll have to add that to my detailed cleaning list.

Thanks a bunch!!

Glad to know you found the problem. Bergerud (Dan) meant the same thing, I'm sure.

I should mention that cleaning the inside surface of the sensor window is not something I consider part of normal routine cleaning/maintenance. It is supposed to be sealed well enough not to have to worry about it (cleaning/brushing the external surface of the window should be done as routine, though).

Having said that, fine dust can find a way to get in there at times, as you have discovered. But, now you know if you can't get rid of the sensor error by cleaning the external surface, it's the interior that is the culprit.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

Also, use only low pressure air when cleaning the machine (10 to 20 lbs.). Most of the board sensors that I have replaced was due to high pressure air forcing dust behind the sensor window.
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 05-29-2017 at 01:02 PM.
    Steve

For troubleshooting the standard is to place a piece of white copy paper on the board and crank the head down and move the head over. A 156 is perfect. A 90 is a dirty window.

I use a knife blade to slice down the back of the sensor when it is out then easily slide the window out for cleaning. I seal everything back up with masking tape catching the edge of the window. Takes the color of the wood out of the confusion.

Remember that the Board Sensor data goes through the flat FFC Cable. So with the white paper test move the head looking for a open wire in the FFC Cable.

When you change the board sensor watch you don't pull the cable down too hard as it can slip along side the plastic track cover and PINCH and SHORT to ground. Don't know if the newer machines have changed that so the wire cannot pinch.

Second thing to watch is to not rip off the small surface mount components especially the one under the white plug. All components are marked with silk screen white rectangles. Ripping one off makes for very low readings.

In the old days the 2 LED's would snap off because the circuit boards were not glued to the black holder.

AL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC08496_WEB.jpg   DSC08503_WEB.jpg   DSC08500_WEB.jpg   DSC08502_WEB.jpg  

DSC08510_WEB.jpg   DSC08509_WEB.jpg   DSC09540_WEB.jpg   DSC09541_WEB.jpg  

Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast