Thread: Lining up a two piece round pattern

Default Lining up a two piece round pattern

I am trying to make a simulated wooden barrel top, made from two pieces, (of multiple boards), to equal 22" in circumfrence. This will be used at my sons wedding for guests to sign. It consists of two pieces an approx. 13" side (and I'll use three pieces 5.5", 4.5", and a 3" pieces) and an approx. 9" side (with a 5" and 4") board. The boards will be glued up prior to carving and I will use a sled. I have watched Micheal Tyler's, Tips and Tricks, July 09', but because this project is round, and does not have equal sides as in the video, plus the 9" side is the down (smaller) side, of the circle, I'm having a problem lining them up. Any help is appreciated...
    Thanks,
    Gary
    Attached Files Attached Files
    3D Pro Ver. 3.103 Build 14, STL & DXF Importer, Rotary, Conforming Vectors, Centerline- Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo CPU T6500 @ 2.10GHz 4GB Ram 64 bit Operating System using Windows 7

Can't you just use the snap grid?

Dan,
    I did use the snap grid, but removed it prior to posting so the project didn't look so confusing. I was just hoping to have someone check the design to make sure the two halves would line up, prior to carving. I was trying to match the halves up by using the "snipping tool", but that did'nt work... but if someone knows of a better way to match before carving, I'd really appreciate an explaination.
    Thanks,
    Gary
    3D Pro Ver. 3.103 Build 14, STL & DXF Importer, Rotary, Conforming Vectors, Centerline- Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo CPU T6500 @ 2.10GHz 4GB Ram 64 bit Operating System using Windows 7

With the snap grid, the halves will surely line up (I would worry about having sharp board edges for a good joint). I think I would rotate the pattern and adjust the joint to be between lines of text. Also, I was thinking that you should jog to touch the bit near the joint when you carve it so the depths at the joint match as best as possible.
    Last edited by bergerud; 05-17-2017 at 12:58 PM.

Well, I was able to complete this project with just a little bit of cosmetic fixes and my son and his fiancé were very happy with it, and that's all that counts... My choices of colors would have been different for some of the lettering, but as long as their happy, I'm happy! The "barrel top" is 21" in circumference. The serial number was the day they met, for anyone wondering. And thanks Dan for your input into this matter.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg  

Gary, great looking project. The pieces lined up great.

- O

Like your design. Great idea and it will be something they will enjoy for years.