Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Centerline text Celtic Font bug in version 3

Default Centerline text Celtic Font bug in version 3

I have identified what appears to be a bug in the way the new text handling system works versus the previous versions. I have purchased and installed the celtic fonts from clanbadge.com. Others here in the forum have used that font also. I was using it but identified that it was not displaying the font properly, specifically, there was a thin line of whitespace between each letter and I could not get it to go away even if I reduced the spacing between letters and between lines. Here is and example of what I am describing:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	celtic font example with 3-005.png 
Views:	189 
Size:	690.0 KB 
ID:	80079

Others on the forum had described using the font but did not have issues with the lines so I reloaded 1.87 and created the same project as with version 3 and in 1.87 you can see that it does not have the whitespace but beautifully and accurately renders the knots.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	celtic font example with 1-87.png 
Views:	184 
Size:	678.7 KB 
ID:	80078

I carved the project to determine if it was just a display artifact, but it is not, the lines show up in the carving just as in designer. I really like what can be done with the celtic knot font, and I really like the new features of the text handling system in version 3, but the bug in this version of the software needs to be resolved to make it work to its full potential.

dave

I do not have the font but could the difference be with the feather and floor feather setting with 3.0?
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Quote Originally Posted by fwharris View Post
    I do not have the font but could the difference be with the feather and floor feather setting with 3.0?
    No, this is text, so the Feather and Floor Feather do not apply, this has to do with the new font rendering engine in 3.0

OK, I found another bug: If you have any text using centerline and do "edit envelope" then hit "Preview" designer will crash. I've tested with multiple fonts and it happens every time. It does not happen with raster or outline, but happens consistently with centerline.

That certainly is a bug. Nice catch. I will report it.

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    That certainly is a bug. Nice catch. I will report it.

Thanks, but I am more concerned about the other one. I can live with the preview bug, the other needs addressed to get done some of the patterns I would like to make.

I reported that as well. I do not expect immediate action. I just report these things for the record so they are not forgotten the next time the software is updated.

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    I reported that as well. I do not expect immediate action. I just report these things for the record so they are not forgotten the next time the software is updated.
    thanks, Is there somewhere I can report them directly?

You can certainly send them a email. I know of no plans for a new release, and so, I do not think it would do you much good. The font engine was drastically changed after 1.187 and it could be that the problem would not easy to fix.

I would like to play with the problem but I do not have those fonts.

There may not be a fix. It may be an "issue" with the font itself.

I am not knowledgeable on this subject and may be speaking nonsense, but I have fooled with a couple of font designer programs, and it became apparent that designing good fonts is not a trivial matter. I would compare this to designing good patterns vs. not so good ones. There are a number of "rules" to follow to design good fonts. You may be able to design a font that "works" on the display screen or in a word processing program but is not a good font that follows the "rules". I suspect it may be the case that if one or more of these "rules" is not followed, the new Designer font engine is not happy.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast