Thread: LCD is unreadable

Default LCD is unreadable

While carving a project, I was blowing out the excess saw dust when all of a sudden the machine just stopped, and the LCD was blank. I checked the power to the unit and it was good, so I turned off the power switch on the unit and turned it back on and the LCD screen came on, but it was unreadable, what could possibly be the problem. Any assistance you can render would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance for your assistance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0118.JPG  
    Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway.

I would check the ribbon wire connection on the back of the LCD panel.

Sam,

Any air movement can cause a static electricity build-up so a static discharge is likely the cause. Even if you didn't see a spark. The machine should always be grounded when in use. Unplug the machine and wait about a minute or so. If that doesn't work, try turning the adjustment on the LCD (black button). After that, you will have to start swapping parts and cables starting with the LCD screen. Worst case scenario, it fried the controller.
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 04-30-2017 at 10:10 AM.
    Steve

Thanks guys, I checked the ribbon cable first thing unplugged it and cleaned it up, no issues found, I may have to check a little deeper. The machine still carves with no issues, I just can't see what I am selecting on the LCD, unless I do it from memory by looking at what is on the card first. If everything else is working, can I safely assume that the display may be the problem. I only have one machine and I have had it for close to 10 years, this if the first time I have run into this problem. Swapping parts is not an option I can choose. I will let you know if I find anything else, thanks again for your quick response and help.

Steve is correct about the static build up and discharge issues. If you are blowing it out use low volume. Not sure as I would need to go look at my machine to see if there is a "language" option for the display. Stranger things have happened.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    While carving a project, I was blowing out the excess saw dust when all of a sudden the machine just stopped, and the LCD was blank. I checked the power to the unit and it was good, so I turned off the power switch on the unit and turned it back on and the LCD screen came on, but it was unreadable, what could possibly be the problem. Any assistance you can render would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance for your assistance.
    Since you were carving when it went dark, the ground should have been there (provided your wall outlet is grounded).
    Did you check the other end of the ribbon cable is seated? You could also check the ribbon cable for continuity with a meter. Perhaps the cable flopping around with the air broke a wire inside the jacket. Try wiggling the cable and see if the display changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will do what is needed to correct this problem, thanks for the input, I will let you know what I come up with.

I checked the ribbon cable and it checked out good, is there a way to check the display it self or the electronic box on the bottom?