Thread: Problem with project, need advice

Default Problem with project, need advice

See attached picture. I am working on a project, plaque for a returning OEF vet, and I have a small problem. This plaque is 14-1/2 x 22 made of solid Cherry and was nearly 7 hours to carve. Problem is I made the Army logo too tall, and the thin elements chipped. I took a hand chisel and fixed the star, but the lettering was not as easy. I finally decided to try filling it since it would be painted, then try and paint the letters. I just don't know that it is going to be that easy or look good. So i'm asking, what would you do? Option 1, try to paint it and make it look as good as possible. Option 2, chisel the whole thing out, carve a new part and glue to the plaque. Option 3, start all over. Thanks in advance.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170426_151209.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	3.03 MB 
ID:	84049
    Kansas Wood Shop
    Disabled Veteran owned and operated
    Visit www.kansaswood.com
    A machine with rock, CS machine, Designer 3, centerline, conforming vectors

Quote Originally Posted by dehrlich View Post
    See attached picture. I am working on a project, plaque for a returning OEF vet, and I have a small problem. This plaque is 14-1/2 x 22 made of solid Cherry and was nearly 7 hours to carve. Problem is I made the Army logo too tall, and the thin elements chipped. I took a hand chisel and fixed the star, but the lettering was not as easy. I finally decided to try filling it since it would be painted, then try and paint the letters. I just don't know that it is going to be that easy or look good. So i'm asking, what would you do? Option 1, try to paint it and make it look as good as possible. Option 2, chisel the whole thing out, carve a new part and glue to the plaque. Option 3, start all over. Thanks in advance.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170426_151209.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	3.03 MB 
ID:	84049
    I looks like the lettering ran together and/or the letter spacing was set a little too close. I would just start over. Chances are it will take less time and look much better. If you can, upload the project to the forum and you will get a lot of advice. Also, you really should run a test carve on a piece of MDF with the upload setting as "Normal" or "Draft" first. Even then, if you are going to paint it, why use expensive wood?
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 04-26-2017 at 08:39 PM.
    Steve

I have decided to start over too. I'm just too much of a perfectionist to do it any way but my best. It's not all going to be painted, just certain elements... you will see when it's done. The standard Army logo pattern has the lettering fixed, but perhaps someone has one that has the lettering done as a V carve? Or can modify it as such? I will post my MPC and that of the Army logo I'm using, perhaps someone can help me with that. Will glue up a new panel today and carve again tomorrow.

jordan clark plaque.mpc
    Kansas Wood Shop
    Disabled Veteran owned and operated
    Visit www.kansaswood.com
    A machine with rock, CS machine, Designer 3, centerline, conforming vectors