Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sled question

I just attempted a project with a sled for the first time. Same as tackytim's...3/4" thick project piece & 3/4" thick sled. The project in Designer is 3/4" thick.

After touching off the board, to measure the thickness, I don't get a "Board Too Thick" message. It just moves over to the sliding plate, bobbs up and down a few times (never making it all the way down to the plate), then gives an error to the affect of "Ensure Sliding Plate Is In Place. 1) Retry 2) Abort"

Any suggestions??

My guess is that the bit touches by the brass roller and so expects to be able to touch at the sliding plate. How close to be sliding plate does the bit come?

(If the bit does not touch at the brass roller, the bit will still bob at the sliding plate but it will give then you the option to key in the board thickness.)

Looks like it's missing the plate by roughly 3/4".

Could it be that the bob at the brass roller is touching the sled instead of passing beside the sled on the left?

(You may have to post sled pictures or explain exactly every move the machine makes.)

Here's a pic of the sled. Sled is the same width as the project piece.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1143.JPG 
Views:	22 
Size:	765.0 KB 
ID:	84445

After careful study, It appears the the Z sled is bottoming out before the 1/8" cutting bit as able to touch either the brass roller or the slide plate. Surely I'm doing something wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Cgav34 View Post

After careful study, It appears the the Z sled is bottoming out before the 1/8" cutting bit as able to touch either the brass roller or the slide plate. Surely I'm doing something wrong
    That would explain it. The bit needs to be installed longer. Are you using the Rock Chuck?

It's a new machine, so it has the CarveTight Spindle

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1145.JPG 
Views:	16 
Size:	606.6 KB 
ID:	84446

Does the bit touch the bit plate? Is the bit plate swinging out as it should?

Bit plate is swinging out as it should. Then it comes back to the other side of the machine, bobs up and down a few times then moves over and touches off the board a few times, goes back over and tries to touch off the brass roller but bottoms out, then goes over to the sliding plate and bottoms out. Then I get the error message. It never gives me a "board too thick" message.

Now that I think about it, the truck should not bottom out during normal touching routines. Does the truck move smoothly up and down? If on initially moving up to find 0, it encountered resistance, it might get the z calibration wrong and then go down to far.

Make sure the truck moves smoothly throughout the whole travel distance. It should go right to the top when it first homes.

(No other ideas at the moment!)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast