Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sled question

Here's a link to a video showing what's going on. It looks like the spindle is hitting the board, causing it to stop, but that's just the camera angle.

Is it actually touching the top of the sliding plate?
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Quote Originally Posted by fwharris View Post
    Is it actually touching the top of the sliding plate?
    it's not touching the sliding plate

Is it not going down far enough or not moving over it to touch?
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Buy CarveWright

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Quote Originally Posted by fwharris View Post
    Is it not going down far enough or not moving over it to touch?
    The Z truck is bottoming out, so it's not going all the way down. Look back a few posts to see my original issue along with picture of the sled I'm using and some other troubleshooting comments.

Sorry tackytim...didn't mean to hijack your post

Cgav34, I don't feel hijacked. Sorry you are having problems. Is the sliding plate all the way up against the sled? If it's not all the way up against it with maybe a small shim to keep it from rubbing a lot, the bit might be missing the spot it needs to touch. I believe my machine behaved the same way, but it DID touch the slide plate. Then it asked abort or continue. I did not get the message you are getting.

Let me explain how I think things work. Just before the machine tries to determine the board thickness by touching the sliding plate, it bobs at the brass roller. This bob is not really a measurement; it does it only to get an estimate as to where the sliding plate will be.

Normally, with a board thickness of 1" or less, it touches at the brass roller and then goes for the sliding plate. If there is no touch at the sliding plate, it asks only retry or abort because it knows it should be able to touch it.

If it cannot touch at the brass roller, it still goes for the touch at the sliding plate (who knows why!). But, this time when it cannot touch, it asks retry or continue and lets you input the board thickness.

(There is another case where it measures the board thickness and finds it far off. In this case it asks which thickness to use - project or board.)

In your case, it seems that it thinks it is touching at the brass roller when it is not. The truck is bottoming out and the machine is mistaking that for a touch. Then, when it cannot touch the sliding plate, you only get retry or abort.

I think something is wrong here with the firmware or the z truck encoder. Reformat and reflash the card to first eliminate the firmware.

Would it be worth doing a Z calibration?
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Buy CarveWright

formatted card, but did the same thing again. I have some 1/2" MDF that I'm going to cut tomorrow for the base of a new sled, see if that works.

Still don't know why 3/4" wont work though.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123