Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sled question

Default Sled question

Hello,

I have a pattern that I am carving that I built a sled for. The sled is 3/4 thick and the board I am carving is 3/4, so 1 1/2" thick total. I used the outline feature in designer and selected the pattern to be cut out. I loaded the board and the machine touched off with the 1/8 cutting bit and the machine gave the message "board too thick to cut through: 1) Abort 2) Continue" I chose continue and it is currently carving. When it completes the pattern with the cutting bit, will it treat the cut path as if it was cutting through only 3/4 and leave tabs like it normally would and just cut a little into my sled (as i was intending), or will it not perform the cut path at all? I realize the 1/8" bit only cuts 1" deep, I was thinking the machine would just use the thickness of the programmed board and perform the cut path just over 3/4 deep and leave the tabs.

This is my first project with a sled.

Thanks,

Tim

Did you get any message asking to cut through the project or the board? Did you set your board size in designer as 3/4 or 1 1/2?
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

No, the machine did not ask to cut through project or board. The board in designer was set to 3/4. From some searching on the forum, it seems it should have asked project or board. If it asks me to load the 1/8 bit after the carving bit has finished, I may just see what happens and have my finger on the stop button. I did set the max cut depth to .260 so it should take it in small cuts.

I believe that after the machine gives the board too thick message and you press continue, it will cut to the maximum depth possible. Be ready for the bit to cut into the sled. Tabs may be cut.

Well, it seems it wasn't a problem. The machine finished the carve, asked for the 1/8" bit, and started routing. It left the tabs and went into the sled only .075" (measured with dial caliper). *phew*

Did the machine ask for the board thickness before it continued?

No, it just asked to load 1/8 cutting bit, it touched off on the swing out plate and went to work. I'm almost positive it did not ask for cut through project/board at the beginning. I plan on making a 2nd identical project in a day or two, so when I start that one I'll make sure to note any prompts from the machine.

What I have found is that if the total thickness is one inch or less, the machine asks whether to cut through board/project. Over an inch (can't find sliding plate) it just says too thick, abort/continue. Selecting continue, it goes with the design thickness. Hasn't failed to use design thickness yet.

I my experience, if if cannot touch the sliding plate, it asks for the board thickness.

When it asks for board or project thickness it is because it did touch the sliding plate and the thickness it found did not agree with the project thickness.

There is a third case where it bobs at the keypad side and just says board too thick. I think that in that case, it does a max depth cut.

I do not know which case is happening here.

Running an identical project this afternoon. This is what the machine did:

Measured board, stay under rollers, center on board, etc, etc,
    prompt for 1/8 cutting bit, spin up test
    bobbed a couple times (keypad side - no z errors)
    moved across machine and touched off on the slide out plate
    returned to keypad side and bobbed a couple times (no z error)
    Touched off on board (1 1/2" total thickness)
    Message "Board to thick to cut through, 1) Abort 2) continue" pressed "2"
    Load 1/16" carving bit, spin up test, bob keypad side, touch off on slide out plate
    begin carve

To the best of my knowledge this is the exact sequence it went through on my first carve a couple days ago, and the end result was it performed the cut paths properly with tabs and penetrated .075" into the sled.

It works for me, but still wonder if i'm supposed to get the "project or board" prompt, or if its automatically assumed to cut through the project when the machine knows it cant go all the way through the board.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast