Thread: Flex shaft jumping

Default Flex shaft jumping

I was at the end of a carve when my flex shaft started making a noise and jumping. It would do it every few seconds. The carve completed with no trouble. The core was not hot to the touch. I turned my top hat put the shaft back in and tried a new carve same thing happens. I have 300 plus hrs on the shaft. I purchased a new one do I have to lubricate it or does it come ready to go. And should I put the spring from my old one in the new one. I assume my old shaft went bad.

Thanks Kevin

Could be that the spring is binding causing the noise and jumping. If you do use a new cable lubricate it before using. Also could be the tip of the cable is worn or rounded causing it to jump. I would pull the old cable and inspect the ends if it looks good lube it and try again. One other thing I have had happen is that the sheath separates where it is glued at the ends, this will cause your cable to slip also.

Quote Originally Posted by rmock View Post
    Could be that the spring is binding causing the noise and jumping. If you do use a new cable lubricate it before using. Also could be the tip of the cable is worn or rounded causing it to jump. I would pull the old cable and inspect the ends if it looks good lube it and try again. One other thing I have had happen is that the sheath separates where it is glued at the ends, this will cause your cable to slip also.
    Ok I will check it out thanks

Oki took the sheath off the cable because the end that goes into the motor seems to be stuck. I tried to pull on the cable to get it out of the motor but it wont come out. any ideas should I just get some pliers and try pulling a little harder?

That's what I would do. Hopefully it just rounded the cable and stuck.

Ok so I took out the motor loosened a few screws on the housing and it came right out. looks like the spring is broken so can't reuse that. not sure why the new ones don't come with the spring.