Thread: Black saw dust in the saw dust--What did I break?

Default Black saw dust in the saw dust--What did I break?

Just finished a carve with an 1/8" cutting bit. There are some areas where it cuts all the way through. When I took the board out there were tiny black "splinters" in the saw dust. It just looks like black saw dust. It's only on the bottom of the board. None in the dust on the top. What did I break? I was hoping to see that the bit heated up and this was burn, but I didn't notice anything in the carve path.
    Early in the carve it over-cut and dropped a piece through that is 1/2" X 1/2" X 3/4". Is it possible that it rubbed the belts? I sort of discounted this because the specs are so even and uniform.
    The machine did not act up except to get the depth wrong in some spots. It sort of drug its feet between areas and plowed a path spot to spot. Over-cut some areas and not deep enough in others.
    I did get a message very early when it said "Check motor," but then went along fine.
    Didn't think I use it again until I had an idea of what is going on.

Got a picture?
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Could be dust from your brushes being worn, If you got a check motor and then the motor seems to drag this would be my guess, check the dust bag, if it has carbon dust then it is time to check your brushes and replace.

Thank you. The motor did seem to change speeds. This machine is not very old. Has less than 100 hours on it. Isn't the motor outside the carve area with a whip coming into the truck? Are there brushes in the truck, too? Guess it didn't like this carve. Now, to find where the brushes are.
    Last edited by tonydrew; 04-12-2017 at 04:36 PM. Reason: forgot something

5. Default

I do not think it is motor brushes check the board , was the bit burning as it was cutting? was there knots or other things that could have produced this dust? motor brushes are not in the carve area and would not produce dust on the underside of the board. The truck does not have brushes.

The cut is clean. It is a new bit, too. No burning, which was my 1st thought. The board is just clear white pine.
    I ran my hands along the upper rollers and got nothing but white saw dust. Ran along the belts and still picked up some specs.
    Turned it over looking the 1/2" square chip that fell through and still can't find it. It could have been sucked up when I tried to clean it, but doubt it. I think it's hiding under the belts, if that's possible.
    Sort of shy about turning this on again until I have an idea about what happened.

Any possibility the bit is a down spiral and pushing the sawdust down packing it and burning it?

Also wondering about the feed rate.... Could be too fast causing the burning.... LHR ??

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

That sounds logical. Especially considering it did not cut all the way through as it was supposed to and this was at the end of the carve so the bit would be hotter. I did not set feed rate and did not know I could do that.
    I'm giving up on this pattern. I've figured out how to do it with the table saw if I really want to make this table. It was a great way to learn about working the design, but the machine does not seem to like it.
    Thanks for the input from all.

I guess he could post a photo of the bit and tell us where he purchased it.
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

Quote Originally Posted by tonydrew View Post
    That sounds logical. Especially considering it did not cut all the way through as it was supposed to and this was at the end of the carve so the bit would be hotter. I did not set feed rate and did not know I could do that.
    I'm giving up on this pattern. I've figured out how to do it with the table saw if I really want to make this table. It was a great way to learn about working the design, but the machine does not seem to like it.
    Thanks for the input from all.
    Let us know what you were trying to do with your pattern. Maybe we can help you out.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.