Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cut motor rebuild

The Armature wearing down is the big problem... 3 sets of brushes and it pretty far gone....

I plan to try a ROCKY 30 small trim router one day as a replacement for the cut motor... Mounted above and slightly behind the machine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC06212_WEB.jpg   DSC06261_WEB.jpg   DSC06760_WEB.jpg   DSC06759_WEB.jpg  

DSC01461_WEB.jpg   DSC01467_WEB.jpg   DSC03345_WEB.jpg   DSC03348_WEB.jpg  

Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 04-07-2017 at 03:58 PM.
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Malmstrom View Post
    So if I wire it up to a chord straight to the electrical wall outlet it will work right? I know that the small wall plug prong is the positive or white and the large prong is the negative (black).

Should that work. ****YES THAT SHOULD WORK****

I have a motor speed dial plug that I've used for other stuff would that work on the motor. I wouldn't start so fast if it is usable for that.

**** I DO NOT KNOW IF THE SPEED DIAL PLUG WOULD WORK OR DAMAGE THE MOTOR*****

Yes I would secure the motor.
    Hope that helps, not yelling but wanted to differentiate my answers from your questions.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by normrichards View Post
    Hope that helps, not yelling but wanted to differentiate my answers from your questions.
    Thanks Norm

I don't know much about motors and electric. But thanks for the info. I will try it. The speed switch that I have is the same thing they have at Harbor Freight. When I bought it the package said it was a router speed control. I think it has a 5 amp fuse in it. I'll try it and tell you if it works or not. Maybe not for a few days though.

The cut motor is the most basic AC/DC motor. If your speed control can handle the current, it will probably work fine.

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    The cut motor is the most basic AC/DC motor. If your speed control can handle the current, it will probably work fine.
    I agree....
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

6. Default

I hooked up the router speed control bot straight to the motor and it works good. The control box uses a 15 amp fuse. So I put a 15 amp microwave fuse in it that I had available. The initial speed on low is pretty fast and the motor revs up smoothly when I turn up the speed.

I'm thinking that the plug in wires that go to the computer are hooked up to some sort of speed indexer or something and don't really have to be used to run the motor.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Malmstrom View Post
    I hooked up the router speed control bot straight to the motor and it works good. The control box uses a 15 amp fuse. So I put a 15 amp microwave fuse in it that I had available. The initial speed on low is pretty fast and the motor revs up smoothly when I turn up the speed.

I'm thinking that the plug in wires that go to the computer are hooked up to some sort of speed indexer or something and don't really have to be used to run the motor.
    I was going to wire a 115 VAC Relay to the Machine Motor Wires then let the Relay turn on and off the Router. I posted that once before and LHR said to NOT DO THAT....

Had not need to convert since so no progress trying....

I WOULD eliminate the machine's ability to control the speed and the machine would likely give you a CCM and go into default open loop mode speed control. I believe normally the machine is in a closed loop speed control using the speed sensor.

AL

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12