Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tracing?

1. Default Tracing?

I was watching this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MydQrXzsE4k&t=333s

Where the person traces a image of a jet plane. I was trying to do something similar but the first step is to import a tracing image. My software doesn't have that function, when I go to file>import my only options are image, DFX, STL. The video has a 4th option called tracing image. I don't have that option. I tried image and that is not what I wanted.

I have looked through a bunch of tutorials and sifted through all the toolbars and I cannot figure it out.

How do I import an image to trace?

Do you have the 2D Vector Drawing program? Tracing is part of that program. If you don't have that program you cannot import an image to trace.

It is part of the vector drawing add on... http://store.carvewright.com/product...cat=400&page=1
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Let me just say I use the "import to trace " function quite a bit, it easy to create vectors projects and patterns.
    My Shop 1044

CarveWright START U Team Member

V - 1.187 and 3.0 too
    With the DC Insert," dust all gone"
    CarveWright Customer Documentation http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/maintenance.htm
    CarveWright Tips and Tricks http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/tips.htm
    www.customcarvingsbyperry.com
    I have often wondered why it is that
    Conservatives are called the "right" and Liberals are called the "left".
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of
    the fool to the left."

If you have an external editor like Photoshop, Paint, etc. you can alter the image you want to trace to a size of 7" by 7" by 72 dpi and place it in the woods1 folder. Then, in the Designer, set the wood stain/finish to the image you have edited. It will accomplish the same thing as importing an image for tracing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tracing Image.png   Tracing Image2.png  
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 04-01-2017 at 12:12 AM.
    Steve

6. Default

That's neat. I had to save it as a 72 dpi and a size of 512 by 512 pixels. You also need to flip the image vertically.
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveNelson46 View Post
    If you have an external editor like Photoshop, Paint, etc. you can alter the image you want to trace to a size of 7" by 7" by 72 dpi and place it in the woods1 folder. Then, in the Designer, set the wood stain/finish to the image you have edited. It will accomplish the same thing as importing an image for tracing.

According to Windows they are 512 X 512 96 dpi.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wood jpg.PNG  

8. Default

I think as long as you make it 512 X 512 you'll be OK. I had to save as blank_natural.jpg for it to work. I also had to save it elsewhere and drag it to the woods1 folder and it said I needed permissions but it worked.

It has a use for tracing manually but that's about it. I was thinking that you could even manually create a pocket if you wanted to.

It is a bit of effort, but it does work. The image, however, has to be square and it does not get saved with the mpc. After the tracing, one has to "undo" the woods file swaps.

If anyone on the forum wants to trace something, just post the image. One of us with the 2D advanced can import it for you and post it.

For example:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails never give up.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by Stripes003 View Post
    I was watching this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MydQrXzsE4k&t=333s

Where the person traces a image of a jet plane. I was trying to do something similar but the first step is to import a tracing image. My software doesn't have that function, when I go to file>import my only options are image, DFX, STL. The video has a 4th option called tracing image. I don't have that option. I tried image and that is not what I wanted.

I have looked through a bunch of tutorials and sifted through all the toolbars and I cannot figure it out.

How do I import an image to trace?
    Welcome to the CW Forum; Not sure which program you have to make your Carving patterns. I use Designer Program 1.187 - The free program. You can use this program and all the new CW programs can read these programs. I can not read the programs that are made with the new stuff. Next year I will be 80 years young. I use programs like ShaderMap Pro and Vector Magic, with Coloring Book Pages. They are off market programs and are fast and easy to use. Vector magic is not cheep: but it does give you a great Vector line drawing. Shadermap gives you the 3D effect. The new CW programs can give you the 3d effect also. I do offer my programs on CD and DVD's.

I work on Donations, I leave the donations up to the people that ask me to make a pattern for them. (They send me a “PM” with there E-mail address.) Except my CD andDVD's; I have a Minimum of $50.00 for the CD's (about 200 pattern files) and$100.00 for my DVD's (about 500 to 600 pattern files) I fill the disk with data (max data per disk). I use the Designer 1.187 version; all of CW's new updatedprograms can open my PTN files.

Most people just send me a donation of about what they pay for patterns at the CW Pattern Depot ($10.00 to $20.00); the most I received was $100.00, the guy needed to make over 100 carvings. Some people don’t send me anything. I’ll leave it up to you.

The CD and DVD's are the best deal; about 25 cents each. If you let me know what type of carvings you like to make, I think I can come up with some great line drawings. It works best to start with a line drawing to make the Gray scale image that the CW “Z” Truck uses to carve the pattern, it reads the Binary code to make the carving.

0000=transparent, 0001=Black, 0255=White and 0128=center of the carving depth. That makes 256 shades of gray in the Grayscale Image.

Each of my pattern files have 6 files in them, like the sample attached. Thank You, BJB
    The 6th file is the MPW file, that file is not locked with a code and you can change the image in the designer program.

If you "PM" me your e-mail I can send you some samples. What type of patterns are you looking for?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ELK on the Rock_22vectorized_DISP-cw.PNG   ELK on the Rock_22vectorized_DISP-.png  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by bjbethke; 04-01-2017 at 02:37 PM.
    Using Designer Version 1.187
    Donations are always welcomed, thanks – send a check to my PO Box 652

BJB
    PO Box 652
    Yellville,AR 72687-0652

PM me for my e-mail address.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast