Hello,
I have been lurking around the forum for a time and I am really considering getting one of these machines. But the money is daunting being a struggling college student. I have been looking at other cnc router machines like the shapeoko and a few others that are all about the same price range. I really like the idea of doing bigger as well as being able to do smaller stuff. The other cnc's I have been looking at are very limited in their build size. But the Carvewright can do full boards, but the proprietary card system and it not being industry standard G-code and is chained to its own software has me a bit worried. There are also a lot of negativity out there on the web but it all seems to be the 1st or 2nd generation of the carvewright. Then I read the build blog and see such amazing capabilities I am simply drawn back in.

So I am pretty sold on the machine but I am worried about a few things. After all the computer work to make a pattern then the time to carve. How much time is spent afterwards with sanding? Does the carvewright not carve with a good resolution and extensive sanding is needed?
I am a broke college student with very limited budget and no tools or much space. I am kind of looking at this machine as a all purpose machine. I mean there is a sanding mop and cutting bits, I should be able to finish sand and cut to shape with the machine right? Provided the board is not too thick right and support tabs excluded?

The vast majority of the projects I see on the forum are signs. I understand that sign making is easy and fast with the machine but it can be consistently more than that right? My vision is to do movie props, and props from video games and sell at comic conventions. This would work on a regular basis right? I could load in a 2x4 and carve out a Sword from Lord of the Rings with relative ease and repeatedly right? Then I can also scale down and do jewelry and small trinkets too right? Then another dream is to do the golden idol from Indiana Jones.

Is this a realistic goal? My other question is to the craft show people and farmers markets. How fast can the machine pay for itself?

Please be honest and straight, I fear I may have been daydreaming too big and before I am foolish and spend a bunch of money I might need a dose of reality.

Thank you